HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Periodic Electrical System Anomalie

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast
Question Periodic Electrical System Anomalie

Hello all,

Okay, I am experiencing a rather strange problem with my HCH-I that only occurs when the vehicle is cold.

In the morning (or cold afternoon after work) I'll start up the car and let it run for a minute or two and when I shift into REVERSE I hear a strange clicking sound coming from the glove box area and the reverse lights flicker and then go out. One time, the defroster actually turned on during this episode. I am fairly confident the clicking noise is a relay, but which one, I am not sure. It just started doing this and so far it only does it when it is cold. The problem cannot be duplicated when the car is warm.

Otherwise, the car runs normal, no other electrical (or other) problems. Besides it being a nuisance, I'd rather resolve this issue before it potentially evolves into something more serious (and $$) and/or leaves me stranded somewhere..

Any ideas???!!

2004 Civic Hybrid CVT
106K miles

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Periodic Electrical System Anomalie

Okay, got it taken care of....

Turns out it was the transition switch which sits on top of the transmission. Apparently, it was caked with road grime/grease causing it to seize up like an old padlock.