HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Tires

I purchased a set of four Good Year Assance Triple Tread tires today for my 2003 HCH. I was half snowing/raining when I picked the car up. When a major difference in handling and traction from the new grippers! I didn't want to do the tire swap thing every season and so I tried to do my research. Most people who have done reviews on the tire like them. I can say that my initial impressions are very good. I need a tire that is good in the snow, rain and hot summers - wonderful Southern Ontario climate. I hope this is the tire that will do it. I also found the Yokahama Avid TRZ was rated highly but it is not made in my size.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
aha
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

Please let us know how the MPG drops, I will need a new set of tires in a few months. Can't decided on which ones to buy.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I won't be able to do a good comparison until spring. I will update then. My FE has been dropping off the past couple of weeks with the freezing temps.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

Where does everyone get their tires from? We're BJ's members and I haven't looked there yet. I used to get them from Mr. Tire and was always treated well also.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Any tire bought brand new will do resonably well in the snow. Wait another season and then tell me how good they handled in the snow.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

Not every new tire will do on the snow and ice. Only winter tire will do in winter. In canada where it takes one week before they remove the snow, you can get easily stuck in the snow. If you have 4 seasons tire, you will need a device call traction aid or a friend ready to push you car to get out a parking spot. By the way there will be a new law in the province of Quebec. In winter, winter tire will be madatory otherwise resident of quebec will get a nice ticket .

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let me clarify, new thread will always perform better than older thread in snow. For example, my MINI S came with Performance SUMMER tires. I bought the car in late September and decided to wait to buy a new set of winter tires. For one thing, the WINTER tires for my car where no longer being made. I figured the following year they would create a new one, which they did, and I bought that. Anyway, we had a lot of snow the first year that I owned the car and my car did fine. I had to drive extremely slow and I had make sure to never stop on hills and to allow plenty of braking but so did other people with regular tires on.

Once I got the winter tires, the thing handled like it was on rails again. So, yes, you may think that your tires do well when you first get the car but the following year, you will notice a difference.

If you live in an area with lots of snow, it is a good investment to have a dedicated winter set. That way you can laugh at everybody you pass. ;-)