HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

New Hybrid owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Hybrid owner

Welcome to the club. '03, manual transmission owner here, glad to have you aboard.

Ill add that I purchased my hybrid with Bridgestone B381's, which are the OEM on my car. The 381's were great with fuel economy but were not very bad after 4 years of wear, in wet conditions.

I purchased the Dunlop SP60's in August 2008 and will admit that in their first year, they performed terrifically, especially in the rain and light debris. However, they are noticably less efficient than the 381's.

After two years on the SP60's I am convinced that I will do a different route on my next set of tires, on schedule to purchase 4 new ones in August 2012.

A general rule of thumb for hybrid owners is to find out your max side wall psi, and inflate your tires slightly below that rating. The tire will wear faster at the cost of less rolling resistance, i believe is how it goes.....

hope you enjoy the car, you'll notice that cars produced in 2003 - 2005 are getting better mileage than the newer hybrids of the day as well

Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

after careful consideratoin, i have ordered in the Michelin Hydro Edges. Their supposed to be here on the 5th and hopefully installedo n the 6th. ill let u guys know how they do! thanks for all the feedback it really helped. the michelin customer service guys told me that the hydro edges are on back order with no planned production date so that has me a bit scared if i get a flat itll be next to impossible to find a tire except through tirerack.com, i literally had americas tire send me their last set in america and they had to have the tires shipped from texas to oregon lol (thankfully its free shipping yay!)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CH103
Welcome to the club. '03, manual transmission owner here, glad to have you aboard.

Ill add that I purchased my hybrid with Bridgestone B381's, which are the OEM on my car. The 381's were great with fuel economy but were not very bad after 4 years of wear, in wet conditions.

I purchased the Dunlop SP60's in August 2008 and will admit that in their first year, they performed terrifically, especially in the rain and light debris. However, they are noticably less efficient than the 381's.

After two years on the SP60's I am convinced that I will do a different route on my next set of tires, on schedule to purchase 4 new ones in August 2012.

A general rule of thumb for hybrid owners is to find out your max side wall psi, and inflate your tires slightly below that rating. The tire will wear faster at the cost of less rolling resistance, i believe is how it goes.....

hope you enjoy the car, you'll notice that cars produced in 2003 - 2005 are getting better mileage than the newer hybrids of the day as well
thanks for the input!! i took a little while for me to re-tune my driving style to better fit the hybrid, the manual is a lifesaver i wanted a newer model civic but i find im a more careful and cautious driver with a 5 speed vs the ronco style set it and forget it driving of an automatic.