HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

New battery pack replacement, 12v light and shutoff still happening

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default New battery pack replacement, 12v light and shutoff still happening

Hey, I recently changed out my hybrid battery with a new one and the car runs better than it ever has with me! It's really been wonderful. I bought the car with 330k and now it's got over 380k.

The problem is the 12v light is coming on. The 12v is from 2017 and it came on a lot before I installed a new hybrid battery. Whenever it would come on, I would just do the ignition kill trick while the car was going over 20mph and then it would go off for a day or 20 miles or whatever. Now, the light turns on sometimes when the car is in neutral at stop lights (car is a manual). It's aggravating because the motor doesn't always kick back on when I put it into gear.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New battery pack replacement, 12v light and shutoff still happening

Bad 12V
Bad ground straps.
Bad DC-DC Converter
Bad IMA battery

When it comes one, can you make it go out by revving and holding the engine at 2000 rpm for 30 seconds?

Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

It goes out just as soon as I rev the engine at all, or when I begin to accelerate.

the wiring harness on the 12v is new or came off of a used car of the same year.

I don't see how it could be the ima battery because the one I just installed has 4 years left out of a 5 year warranty and is doing it's thing on the ima gauge beautifully.

could it be the converter then?

Old 02-28-2019, 07:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Again:

Bad 12V
Bad ground straps (there are 3 of them, and you have no idea as to their condition - "new or came off of a used car of the same year" - which is it? "new" vs 14+ years old makes a difference)
Bad DC-DC converter
Bad IMA battery

Note that the last two are almost certain to have DTC associated with them.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Went to have the battery tested. It was in very good shape. Then I noticed the posts were loose enough to almost pull off, so I bought a shim for the posts and got them tight. The problem was gone for a few outings now it's dying while in gear, and I have to shift into another gear and then back again. Then the oil pressure light came on for a second.

I did just replace the cam plug seals because I was losing 2 quarts every three weeks. Now that appears to be over. I also just bought a pcv valve and will install that here soon. Oil level is alright. I did have to dump some havoline in the motor and it wasn't the called for weight. Maybe that's creating an oil pressure issue?