HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Manual transmission removal HCH1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Manual transmission removal HCH1

Hi guys!

I'm new here, have tried to search but cannot see any definitive answer to my question: Will the manual transmission drop out of the MK1 Civic Hybrid without removing the subframe or would I be better of taking it out the top? Another option would be to remove the whole engine/motor/gearbox assembly but that seems rather excessive lol. The box in the car I've just bought is making an awful whining noise, I suspect one of the main shaft or counter shaft bearings has gone. Anyway, I need to take it out and open it up, I have access to an engine hoist and all the tools needed just trying to determine the easiest way of getting it out. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Manual transmission removal HCH1

Being the impatient bugger I am I've invested in a 24hr access to Honda US Service website - possibly the best 10 dollars I've ever spent. Turns out the subframe needs to be removed which doesn't surprise me the more I'm looking at it.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Manual transmission removal HCH1

You can buy complete PDFs of the Honda service manual on ebay for cheap.