HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

maint req'd blinking HCH 04 CVT 75 k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default maint req'd blinking HCH 04 CVT 75 k miles

hi all together...

since yesterday the following irregularity:

after starting the car the "maint req'd" light is blinking (flashing once on and of) for about 2 seconds after start.

any idea what can be the problem or just normally schedules of maintenence the car wants to remember me on??

so far no other problems with the car..

best wishes

Last edited by tecis; 08-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: maint req'd blinking HCH 04 CVT 75 k miles

I have the same car, same year as you, and that's just a regular indicator that the car uses to remind you to go in for service.

I believe this is correct, and you should check your manual to verify:

1) After 8,000 miles of no dealer service, the indicator light flashes for two seconds at engine startup. After 10,000 miles of no dealer service, the indicator light stays on steadily when the car is on.

2) If you have indeed brought the car in for service (oil change, for example), the mechanics have simply forgotten to reset the maintenance required indicator. OR if you changed your oil yourself, you didn't reset the maintenance required indicator. There are instructions in the manual to reset the indicator. Just look in the table of contents or index for "maintenance required indicator light."

I've done it before once, and I believe it involves these steps:

1) Get into the driver's seat of your car.
2) Close the driver's door.
3) Turn the key to ON without starting the engine so that the gauges light up
4) Turn the key to OFF
5) Open the driver's door
6) Push and hold the stick that you use to control the mpg display in the dashboard for several seconds

The order of the steps might be wrong, since I am overseas right now and remembering things off the top of my head. Check your manual to verify.

The meaning of other indicator lights are also clearly described in the manual. Always, always RTFM (Read The Full Manual). Others take the F to mean something else, but I think Full is more appropriate and more helpful.

Last edited by bluecivichybrid; 08-12-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

shame on me I'm in mexico and I don't have a manual furthermore..

whatever, my indication was the same, i will bring in the car for service soon, as I have some suspension probs as well.

best wishes

Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
I have the same car, same year as you, and that's just a regular indicator that the car uses to remind you to go in for service.

I believe this is correct, and you should check your manual to verify:

1) After 8,000 miles of no dealer service, the indicator light flashes for two seconds at engine startup. After 10,000 miles of no dealer service, the indicator light stays on steadily when the car is on.

2) If you have indeed brought the car in for service (oil change, for example), the mechanics have simply forgotten to reset the maintenance required indicator. OR if you changed your oil yourself, you didn't reset the maintenance required indicator. There are instructions in the manual to reset the indicator. Just look in the table of contents or index for "maintenance required indicator light."

I've done it before once, and I believe it involves these steps:

1) Get into the driver's seat of your car.
2) Close the driver's door.
3) Turn the key to ON without starting the engine so that the gauges light up
4) Turn the key to OFF
5) Open the driver's door
6) Push and hold the stick that you use to control the mpg display in the dashboard for several seconds

The order of the steps might be wrong, since I am overseas right now and remembering things off the top of my head. Check your manual to verify.

The meaning of other indicator lights are also clearly described in the manual. Always, always RTFM (Read The Full Manual). Others take the F to mean something else, but I think Full is more appropriate and more helpful.
just did this:

1: with the car off and key out of ignition push and hold MPG change putton
2: insert key and turn key to "on" position (do not start the car, just turn ignition on so the dash lights come on), while still holding the MPG button down
3: after about 10 or so seconds the "maint req" light will flash and go out
4: once it's out you can turn car off and you are done. message is now reset.