HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

looking at buying used '03 hch with 112k miles and trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast
Question looking at buying used '03 hch with 112k miles and trouble codes

Car looks really great inside and out. But it had three codes stored, p1660, p1449, and p1570.
I called the dealer and they said all the codes are battery and charging systems related. And they can't tell me much without looking at the car.

Should these codes be an instant deal breaker, or should I pay the $80 for the dealer to look into if further?

If the seller will drop the price by the estimated repair bill (really long shot, I know), do you folks think that the car would resale well with a new hybrid system installed.

I know this doesn't even touch the CVT problems.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: looking at buying used '03 hch with 112k miles and trouble codes

I wouldn't purchase it without knowing exactly what it needs or having the seller repair the issue.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by dodgens

Should these codes be an instant deal breaker, or should I pay the $80 for the dealer to look into if further?

If the seller will drop the price by the estimated repair bill (really long shot, I know), do you folks think that the car would resale well with a new hybrid system installed.

It looks like you've done some homework.

What's the warranty at for this vehicle... more precisely, what's the mileage on the vehicle? Chances are that if the owner is not willing to get the problems resolved because the car is either out of warranty or salvaged then you should not pursue the repairs yourself - at any cost.

What I would do is pay the $80 to the dealer before purchasing the car and get a repair estimate/report on the car. Also inquire about the VIN and warranty details that are available in the system. Then as you said, use this information to negotiate a proper price abatement with the seller.

If done correctly $80 could be key to getting a great car for a good price. If it does not work out then you'll be glad you spent the $80 instead of getting stuck with expensive damaged goods.

Keep us informed of your progress. We do get a few questions like yours once in a while.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Mileage is at 112,000. Dealer looked at warranty details for the VIN and only the passenger seat airbag sensor is under warranty. ???

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty skeptical about the car. The car is at a used car dealer. Carfax say only one owner, which is good. But if the dealer will not adjust the price, its a no deal for me.

MSantos, I've seen you active on several different forums, and your advice always seems sound. What do you foresee as the future of used hybrids as far as resale values to second and third parties? I'm really looking to get this car and resell it in about 8 months, so I want to make sure I can resell it for close to what I paid, or, will I be better of buying a conventional car. I'm seeing that Honda is much more supportive of original owners, and I'm wondering how that will affect resale of these vehicles.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Well, given the additional details you provided I would feel a little hesitant to purchase the car with such outstanding repair items.

Now, if the price is right why not repair it and keep it for as long as you can? I certainly would.

Still, I find it VERY important to assess the depth and breadth of the outstanding repair items. If the costs are too high then you may not be able to recover all expenditures if you decide to sell it in short order. keeping the car changes the outlook... somewhat.

In the other hand as the gas prices keep going up, any used economy hybrid will likely sell well and for good prices... especially when it has been maintained properly and in good working order.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input.
Feeling better, I want a hybrid so bad, I was about to let poor judgment overcome me.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Think green.

I know how you feel. I wanted a hybrid for years, but couldn't afford one.
I found an '04 that was in very nice condition with low miles on it, at a fair price, so I finally got one that I could afford.
But I don't think I'd ever have given it a thought if it had battery/charging problems, very high mileage like the car you've been considering, and was out-of-warranty. The other factor for me is when I buy a car I intend to keep it for many years. If I was going to buy something with the idea of reselling it in the short-term, I wouldn't go for the car you are looking at. Does it have CVT problems as well?

Last edited by Gairwyn; 11-28-2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I personally wouldn't go for it. The IMA system is just too expensive and very advanced (meaning LOTS of potential problems). If it is already starting to fail, I would not be surprised if it only gets worse. I would keep shopping for another HCH.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Think green.

I tried looking up the codes you mentioned in my service manual ('03-'04).

P1660: this number was not listed in the chart in the manual.
P1449: there are three listed for p1449~ Battery Module Overheating, Battery Cell Overheating, and Battery Module Deterioration.
P1570: Battery Module Individual Voltage Input Problem.

I don't know much, but doesn't sound too good.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

only the passenger seat airbag sensor is under warranty. ???
Perhaps it was replaced recently. Have you checked vehicle history report for accidents/repair?

Overall, unless you are handy at repairs, love electrical problem solving, don't really need a car right now and get a stunningly low price I would pass on this one.

I don't know what car you're planning on replacing, but there are many non-hybrid small cars that get decent mileage. Don't let the "Hybrid" plate blind you to the many warning signs you have in front of you.

Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: looking at buying used '03 hch with 112k miles and trouble codes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands