HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Little help diagnosing a discharge debacle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Little help diagnosing a discharge debacle.

So after years away from Honda Hybrids (have had two to 1st gen insights and one other hch1) I finally picked up an 04 HCH1 M/T with 100k miles that's been sitting for 4 years earlier this week. It has known battery issues so I ended up finding a local guy selling 1 complete battery assembly and a complete pack with a first gen Hybrid automotive charger/discharger system and pack rebuild instructions with the superbrain.
I have a few things to do to the car since it's been sitting (brake & clutch fluid, coolant, oil, plugs, filters, drain and fill the tank, etc) so I decided to throw the grid charger on the car with the 12v battery removed and see if I could bring it back to life. Install went rather well and everything worked.

I let it charge for 30ish hours until it leveled out at 181v. This morning I went ahead and swapped over to the discharge. I am using a 65w bulb on a single base with a harbor freight voltmeter. I noticed some of the lead wires where getting brittle so I made sure not to move them to much. I let it glow all day and when I went to check the voltage it fluctuated between nothingb and 170's then stop at no readinf. If I would twist the leads it would just keep bouncing voltages.
I made the stupid decision to swap the leads to the 10 amp fused heard a pop and everything went out. I am getting no power at the socket, at the connector, or at the battery lugs. I was prodding around and ended up finding 2 connections that gave me 140 ish stable volts but it got dark and I figured playing with 140v with a flashlight was unwise. The car has not had the 12v battery connected during the whole process so hoping I didnt damage any of the computers. I have not tried hooking the grid charger back up yet either until I sort the issue.

I am thinking I have blown the 100 amp littlefuse fuse... and will go poking around again tomorrow but any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Little help diagnosing a discharge debacle.

Little update. Started digging into it and it was 151v. I ended up blowing the inline fuse on the grid charger have it jumped to go ahead and get it down to 100v for the time being.

Both littelfuse' on the pack are good. Have voltage at the grid charger but it seems to drop at the little silver pack under 2 screws. No continuity at the 2 wire connection either, but on one of the spare packs there is no continuity there either.

Trying to understand what these parts are rather than just swap stuff til it works.
Anyon have any input?