HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Inverter Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Inverter Question

I recently bought a Samsung Q1 UMPC computer and I was thinking about rigging it up as an el-cheapo portable NAV display. The trouble is, I need to keep it powered. Is it safe to run a 12v-to-110v inverter in a Civic Hybrid? If so, how much power can I get out of it?

Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Default Re: Inverter Question

Do you need to keep it powered even when the car is turned off? If you are using it only when the car is on then it won't be a problem.

You might want to get a dc/dc converter and use it instead of an inverter because it would be more efficient.

You could always go over to the technical section at www.cleanmpg.com and ask the guys there. They know a lot about how the electronics in the car work and how much current you can pull from them.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I pretty much only need power when I'm driving. My idea was that I can download directions to my destination before I get in the car and have them on display (ie. El-cheapo NAV) and also play MP3 music from my Rhapsody account. I wouldn't be leaving the computer in the car.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:18 PM
World's First Hybrid

Just read the back side of the AC charger that the laptop came with and it will tell you how much power it needs on the DC side. In my opinion, a DC/DC converter would not be a good choice because it can't regulate the current flow to charge the Lion battery in your laptop without risk of fire or explosion and you would have to jury rig a special connector. A 120vac inverter would probably be your safest bet running off the accessory outlet with your laptop's charger plugged into it.

My Dell uses 19vdc at 3.16 amps or about 60 watts when the battery is in need of a full charge, somewhat less when it's at full capacity.

hope this helps.

Ralph