HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2024, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Let me give you the standard answer:

Clearly, you installed it incorrectly, and it's your fault.

Seriously though, I will say that while this is clearly a MaxxVolts issue, and it shouldn't happen, I believe that the inherent design deficiencies in the HCH2 pack will actually benefit from a fan that runs full blast, full time. If I still have my 2X 06 HCH2, I would NOT move to rectify the issue. A cooling fan replacement from a salvage yard is way cheaper than a hybrid battery.

Based on my experience, the cooling characteristics of the system are so bad, this can only help. The #1 cause of HCH2 battery failure is excessive operation at elevated temperature. Honda, in their infinite wisdom, introduced 132 hot spots (one per cell) in their redesign of the HCH2 packs. They even made it worse when they tried to fix it in the '09 model. Moving more air through the pack can only help.

Old 10-21-2024, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Originally Posted by S Keith
Let me give you the standard answer:

Clearly, you installed it incorrectly, and it's your fault.

Seriously though, I will say that while this is clearly a MaxxVolts issue, and it shouldn't happen, I believe that the inherent design deficiencies in the HCH2 pack will actually benefit from a fan that runs full blast, full time. If I still have my 2X 06 HCH2, I would NOT move to rectify the issue. A cooling fan replacement from a salvage yard is way cheaper than a hybrid battery.

Based on my experience, the cooling characteristics of the system are so bad, this can only help. The #1 cause of HCH2 battery failure is excessive operation at elevated temperature. Honda, in their infinite wisdom, introduced 132 hot spots (one per cell) in their redesign of the HCH2 packs. They even made it worse when they tried to fix it in the '09 model. Moving more air through the pack can only help.
Honestly I had some issues with the MCM I installed refusing to use any assist, so I replaced it with the old one and have just been letting the fan go bananas. I replaced all the battery cells shortly after swapping the MCM and I also figured the extra air wouldn't do any harm. I still have the spare fan in the trunk for when I inevitably burn out the original one.

One day the fan refused to fire up and the IMA system stopped working as a failsafe. The next day I keyed on and it worked normally again. Likely a symptom of a overused, slightly dying fan. At least it's way easier to change than the battery again.

I'll be moving to hotter weather so I think the fan will stay as is. What a strange failure mode for the MCM....

Also, thank you for the standard answer. I was disappointed I wasn't getting blamed for this yet! I did get MaxxVolts to warranty repair my unit for the failed fan controller but intended on modifying the wiring in some way before using it to prevent further damage (not that I have a need to grid charge now with my refurbed cells). The way I see it I got lucky the MCM failed the way it did and now it's more valuable than stock.