HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

So at the moment, apart from the continuously running IPU cooling fan, I have had no IMA or CEL lights for the past week and the system isn't doing recals during use.
If at some point in the future I might decide to replace or rebuild the battery pack. In the UK a pack using all new cells costs £1400 ( around $1900 ) with a 3 year warranty.
The supplier again says that they use Japanese cells but how could I check? It's my understanding that Panasonic, who supplied OEM to Honda, don't make the cells any more. Are Sanyo cells still available? How would I recognize them?

Old 04-22-2021, 12:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My understanding:

Panasonic made them for 00-06 Insight, 03-05 Civic, 05-07? HAH. Sanyo made them for 06-11 HCH2 and 2010+ G2 insight.

Panasonic owns Sanyo.

Only the Chinese are making NiMH "D" cells. Allegedly ONE of the Chinese manufacturers makes them for Honda replacement packs.

If you are sourcing the pack from Peter Perkins in the UK, I would trust you are getting the best available option.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mwillenb
SOLVED!!!

After a rather lengthy and “interesting” dialogue with MaxVolts, I got him to accept the return of my charger that I bought off EBay.

A little background, as I’m sure he will post here to try to discredit what I’m saying.

My charger was installed correctly and operating instructions were followed.

I also work for an industrial IoT company, and work with electrical engineers that have designed everything from consumer products to satellite systems.

What was concluded was that the MaxVolts charger fan controller back-fed into the cars BCM and basically cooked the onboard fan controller. They all agreed that not isolating the cars system from the balance charger was a REALLY bad idea. While his design makes installation easy, it does leave the cars onboard system at risk.

I replaced the BCM with a known good one and the fan operation is back to normal. When taking apart the malfunctioning BCM, their suspicions were confirmed.
​​​​​​HOw was the troubleshooting to know the BCM was the problem?
where do you got the BCM from ?
I have a 2005 Honda Accord hybrid but I don't see any BCM , only the mcm beside the battery pack .
I'm also having the same issue with a code p1448

Old 10-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raffita Torres
​​​​​​HOw was the troubleshooting to know the BCM was the problem?
where do you got the BCM from ?
I have a 2005 Honda Accord hybrid but I don't see any BCM , only the mcm beside the battery pack .
I'm also having the same issue with a code p1448
​​​@Raffita Torres
Hi Raffita, I’m not much help but it seems to me that those are possibly the same parts. I think BCM is acronym for Battery Control Module or Monitor or Management or something similar. And your MCM may be Motor Control. Any variation on those words you may wanna try to search. Modular, manager, etc. I wish you the best in finding a solution for your issue!

Old 03-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

I have used my maxx volts for many years with no problem and then when I plugged it in the battery pack fan came on every time I plug it in

Old 03-05-2022, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

I contacted maxx voltsabout the fan running all the time it's plugged in and they wont answer

Old 12-14-2022, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

My fan was running to, after grid charge with Maxxvolt. I've changed the BCM and it is ok now,

Old 11-28-2023, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nicolas Tremblay
My fan was running to, after grid charge with Maxxvolt. I've changed the BCM and it is ok now,
Sorry to necro an old thread but I am having the same issue and wanted to get some clarification if possible.

Does any one else have the fan not running at all when the Maxx Volts unit is hooked up? This was my first symptom so I didn't actually grid charge this time for fear I would further damage my cells. Then when I keyed on to test the fan it launched to full speed. I was planning on replacing the MCM which appears the only control according to the wiring diagram.

I see part number 1K000-PZA-A02 is likely the one I need but I've seen A03, A04, A05, and A06. Does anyone know if these are all the same unit? From prior experience I am assuming these are manufacture generation/age but wanted to make sure that they should have the same software present.

What specific codes should I look for if I end up with an MCM that had the software that required PTC circuit disabled?

Thanks in advance if anyone helps out! I am new to this forum but have had the Honda over a year and have very much enjoyed it.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OrionDakota
Sorry to necro an old thread but I am having the same issue and wanted to get some clarification if possible.

Does any one else have the fan not running at all when the Maxx Volts unit is hooked up? This was my first symptom so I didn't actually grid charge this time for fear I would further damage my cells. Then when I keyed on to test the fan it launched to full speed. I was planning on replacing the MCM which appears the only control according to the wiring diagram.

I see part number 1K000-PZA-A02 is likely the one I need but I've seen A03, A04, A05, and A06. Does anyone know if these are all the same unit? From prior experience I am assuming these are manufacture generation/age but wanted to make sure that they should have the same software present.

What specific codes should I look for if I end up with an MCM that had the software that required PTC circuit disabled?

Thanks in advance if anyone helps out! I am new to this forum but have had the Honda over a year and have very much enjoyed it.
I would still like answers to the above questions if anyone has them but wanted to add an update. I replaced the MCM and now the fan seems to be working normally (which would be probably lowest speed or not at all because it's winter in the Pacific Northwest.) The original was an A04. The model I got from the junkyard was actually 1K000-PZA-L01. My backup was going to be ordering the A06 from ebay but this one seems to work fine. My IMA light actually went off while driving so this module must be a bit more forgiving of my weak battery cells. The IMA light has been on over a year since I took a 8k mile road trip cross country.

I have a spare cooling fan I intend to wire up in a way that it can be ran directly from the Maxx Volts charger that way I don't fry another MCM. Meanwhile unfortunately it is off limits until I grab another harness and install a relay to run power. Or perhaps I will instead wire in a manual toggle to run the fan at full power for charging or use in very hot climates. Either way it has to be isolated from the module as somehow the power can backfeed and damage the circuit.

Also while someone said they could see what was damaged on the MCM, i took the casing off and looked real hard with no luck finding a damaged circuit, bad capacitor, etc.