Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   IMA Battery Needs Replaced (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/ima-battery-needs-replaced-12343/)

deboybtd 02-18-2007 02:11 PM

IMA Battery Needs Replaced

:(
I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 144, 000 miles, Dealer states IMA battery needs to be replaced cost $4003.00, and Catalytic converter for anther $1092.00.

I can purchase the battery for $2200 and Catalytic Converter for less than $700.00, the $ 5000.00 plus 1/4 the cost off the vehicle less than 5 years old is too high contacted American Honda they will not offer any assistance.

This will be my last hybrid, at least until they become more reliable or can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

My experience with Honda and customer service is disappointing at best.

Harold 02-18-2007 02:57 PM

Re: IMA Battery Needs Replaced

For $4000.00 what do you get? Is it the whole 9 yards that fits behind the rear seat or just the battery. I thought this was covered by a 7 year 150,000 mile warrentty. The cat. should be covered as well? Boy I'm wondering what it would cost here in Canada? probably double that!!!:cry:

deboybtd 02-18-2007 03:08 PM

The Battery retails for almost $3000.00 so it is just the battery and labor for the $4000.00 American Honda will not cover past 100,000 miles.

Tim 02-18-2007 08:38 PM

This is really distressing news. Although you're traveling 36K miles a year (or so) - that's huge. The "story" I got when I bought that by 2011 when the warranty was up, they thought the packs would be $800. Maybe by then they'll be closer. I only drive 15K per year, so I should get 10 years or so before I hit that kind of mileage.

Sorry that had to happen to you - I'd bail for a conventional car too after that kind of bill.

cb450sc 02-19-2007 01:44 PM

I would check on that waranty. I was under the impression that our American friends had a much better warranty than here in Canada. I thought it was 150,000 miles or seven years as well.

greenhome 02-19-2007 02:05 PM

did you have your software updated per the notification from honda. I understand the purpose of that was to prevent catylict converter faiure and provide software update to enhance battery longevity. This was a notified update , or recall . Is your vehicle manual or cvt?

bar10dah 02-19-2007 02:09 PM

I'm not sure but I thought the longer warranty was only available in certain states. Like California. My HAH is only 8 year 80K miles on the hybrid components.

LlamaLarry 02-20-2007 02:41 AM

Ouch, this is mildly troubling as I will roll over 100K today. :( Wonder if I should just drive it straight to the dealer instead of go to work today. ;)

brick 02-20-2007 04:22 AM

I would balk at this, too. Placed in your shoes, I would be looking around at auto recyclers to see if I could get a used battery from a lower mileage Civic and for much less money.

Harold 02-20-2007 09:02 AM

Brian: How does the car performe without the IMA? You can buy alot of gas for $4000 dallars. I was thinking if the car performs well enough, I would go without the assist. It would still be a very economical car to operate. I would really go after Honda about that Cat.. It should last much longer than yours did?

rxhybrid 02-20-2007 04:02 PM

Is your 03 Hybrid an automatic (CVT) or manual?

I think that the manual transmission was discontinued because the IMA battery packs wear out faster (in many cases) than the CVT hybrids.

Rick

VMA131Marine 02-21-2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 112397)
For $4000.00 what do you get? Is it the whole 9 yards that fits behind the rear seat or just the battery. I thought this was covered by a 7 year 150,000 mile warrentty. The cat. should be covered as well? Boy I'm wondering what it would cost here in Canada? probably double that!!!:cry:

The battery warranty is 10 yr/150,000 miles for AT-PZEV rated vehicles in "clean" states: CA, NY, CT, MA and I think VT, NH, and ME.

VMA131Marine 02-21-2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by deboybtd (Post 112394)
:(
I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 144, 000 miles, Dealer states IMA battery needs to be replaced cost $4003.00, and Catalytic converter for anther $1092.00.

I can purchase the battery for $2200 and Catalytic Converter for less than $700.00, the $ 5000.00 plus 1/4 the cost off the vehicle less than 5 years old is too high contacted American Honda they will not offer any assistance.

This will be my last hybrid, at least until they become more reliable or can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

My experience with Honda and customer service is disappointing at best.

I actually don't think that Honda is being unreasonable here. You got 144k miles out the vehicle, which is 12 years worth of "normal" driving. If the battery failure is the only issue you've experienced with the car, then I don't see how you can call the vehicle unreliable either. The manufacturer has to set a warranty cut-off somewhere and clearly you have considerably exceeded the warranty life limits for this component.

That said, and as others have noted, it would probably be worth your while to search out any recalls or service bulletins that might affect the IMA and battery system and which have not been performed on your car. These would be especially significant if you had the car serviced at a Honda dealership since they would be expected to notify you of any outstanding issues during your regular service visits. If they didn't you might be able to make a case for goodwill from American Honda.

tbaleno 02-21-2007 01:15 PM

Most people that have cars last that long and have blown engines or transmissions tend to get them replaced. I don't know how much an engine or tranny would cost to replace, but replacing the battery in a car that has given you that many miles seems like it might save you money in the long term. Do you know how long it would take in gas savings to make up the $6000 or so for the new battery? It might be a factor.

Have you taken the car to another dealer for a second opinion?

If it were me and the car was in otherwise good shape I would just fix it up for another 150K miles.

Delta Flyer 02-21-2007 02:35 PM

Can you take this to the next level?

Hot_Georgia_2004 02-21-2007 02:59 PM

Does anybody know for sure if it will still run indefinetly with a disabled IMA?

If my own battery goes bad with that high miles I'd consider driving it as is. But my driving style is *a bit* different than most people.

Tim 02-21-2007 09:02 PM

You know, I think what's making this worse is the time it took to exceed the warranty. The "story" I got in 03 is that when the battery warranty ran out in 2011, the cost could be less than $1000. So it stands to reason that in 4 years the packs should be much less than what's being quoted now. At least I hope so. Sticking hybrid owners with a $3K repair at the 8 year mark is unreasonable and will likely loose many supporters or would-be repeat buyers.

rxhybrid 02-23-2007 02:28 PM

I would really like to know how you drove your car. Do you have an automatic or a manual? Live in the north or south. Use AC and heat? Lead foot or drive softly. Hypermiler (and if so, what techniques did you use?)

At Insight Central, I saw that many Insight owners with manual transmission and no AC had their IMA battery go bad quicker than the CVT owner. Many of these people did not
use AC or heat.

Please tell us. It will help a lot of other owners.

Rick.

Flash 02-23-2007 05:07 PM

As the IMA lasts about 100k then why should you be angry that Honda isn't stepping in for something that is past its warranty? You've gone almost 50% farther than the warranty covered. I'm golden though as I'm set to eclipse 50,000 miles in my first year of owning my Hybrid (bought it Aug 7, 2006 and have 26k miles over 28 weeks). That would get me 100k miles in aobut 4 years or a heckuva lot sooner than most people (8-10 years) so I don't think I'll have any issues with mine. Even still, the gas savings alone, over my previous car, is paying for all sorts of future services. =)

deboybtd 02-23-2007 06:02 PM

I don't think you are looking at the big picture the cost of the battery to the dealer is most likely $1500.00 or less, battery plus installation is $4000.00
The dealer stated that it doesn't take long to install. Do you consider this customer friendly?

rkr 02-23-2007 10:29 PM

Hope I'm not crashing this thread too bad - but I have a similar problem on my car with much less miles on it.

I just found out yesterday that my IMA battery is bad and they are going to replace the IMA system. I have a 2003 HCH, manual transmission, with 68K miles.

The guy at the dealer said retail it would cost 5K - I think to replace the IMA system. They are going to swap it all out. I hope they upgrade it while they are at it! Fortunately for me, I am still within my 8 year/80K hybrid components warranty. But I did not expect to have to replace the battery this soon - at all!

I live in New Mexico, which means cold winters, warm summers (I'm at high altitude, so not too hot) and lots of driving up and down mountains. I've gotten 48 mpg on average.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find out how common this is - it sounds like manual transmissions are much more likely to have this failure. I think they should extend our warranties in that case! It's not our fault for not knowing this downside with the car when we bought it, after all.

greenhome 02-24-2007 08:39 AM

Partial text of software update is below . I do not have an answer for any battery failures but we should start the discussion with was the udate performed on the failed ima

What should you do?
Call your Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle updated. The dealer will update the software in the ECM to protect the catalytic converter and the IMA battery from damage. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for half a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling.

California Residents
After doing the repair, your dealer will give you a Proof of Correction certificate. Keep this certificate for your records as proof that the product update was complete. Submit this certificate to the DMV only if they request it.

LlamaLarry 02-25-2007 09:14 AM

Ah, this kind of answers the question I asked in the software update thread. I guess only CA users get to have proof. :(

greenhome 02-25-2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by LlamaLarry (Post 113424)
Ah, this kind of answers the question I asked in the software update thread. I guess only CA users get to have proof. :(

I took my car to the dealer to specifically have this update done. I did not witness it except when restarting the car all guages had unique configurations thay ihave never seen again i.e battery bars absolutely gone, and long time to recharge where upon normal function resumed. Ill look under the hood some times some mech write info under the hood at epa sticker

deboybtd 03-11-2007 02:39 PM

Today I broke down and purchased a Toyota Corolla, I have had no luck with Honda of North America, Local Toyota Dealer has great reputation of standing behind the product very customer service oriented unlike Local Honda Dealer and Honda Of North America, It wasn't an easy decision but I was left with an I don't care attitude from Honda.

MBNorCal 03-11-2007 10:34 PM

anyone call BS in this thread? ;)

deboybtd 03-12-2007 02:20 AM

BS? Can you elaborate MBNorCal.

tbaleno 03-12-2007 12:22 PM

I will give the poster the benifit of the doubt.

greenhome 03-12-2007 12:49 PM

I too will beleive the poster is a truth speaker, I am curious though did you get the software updates that were sent out to prevent failures of both converter and batterY?

livvie 03-12-2007 01:51 PM

I just think that deboybtd is confused as to what a car manufacturer will back up... I don't see him buying a toyota hybrid. I am guessing that had the car been a prius with same issue... toyota would be singing him the same song. Welcome to the real world.

clyde2575 03-12-2007 02:06 PM

I agree with others that when you are 44k over the warranty period, what is the problem with Honda not doing it for free. When we all bought the car we knew this was newer technology and should have weighed that in our decision. I bought an extended HondaCare warranty for 120k miles or 8 years with $0 deductible for $900.00. If something happens after that I fully expect to pay for it. As well, when I bought it I asked the cost of the battery replacement now, now when (and if) I have trouble as there is no way that they can know that.

Everything comes with some type of warranty and very few manufacturers are willing to pay for problems after that time. I doubt that Toyota will pay for a new engine or transmition after the warranty expires on them.

Just my 2 cents.

deboybtd 03-12-2007 03:32 PM

I don't think I'm confused I had the updates, and I only asked for assistance the ima battery retails for $3000.00, I can buy it for $2200 and the service people state it doesn't take long to install, I have the instructions on how to Install and would say it can be done in a short period of time if you have the experience, the battery probably costs $1500 to $1700 to the dealer , what do you think it costs the manufacturer? Let me clarify I don't feel Honda is customer friendly, buy what you like, but I feel strongly that customer relations is about working with the customer you don't have to lose money but don't kill them. I worked for Sony Electronics in Customer Service and Customer relations for Ten years, and in my humble opinion this is not the way to do business and retain customers.

MBNorCal 03-13-2007 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by deboybtd (Post 115595)
I don't think I'm confused I had the updates, and I only asked for assistance the ima battery retails for $3000.00, I can buy it for $2200 and the service people state it doesn't take long to install, I have the instructions on how to Install and would say it can be done in a short period of time if you have the experience, the battery probably costs $1500 to $1700 to the dealer , what do you think it costs the manufacturer? Let me clarify I don't feel Honda is customer friendly, buy what you like, but I feel strongly that customer relations is about working with the customer you don't have to lose money but don't kill them. I worked for Sony Electronics in Customer Service and Customer relations for Ten years, and in my humble opinion this is not the way to do business and retain customers.

before you moan about honda customer's service, let's look at your story. so you drove 144k which is WAY over the warranty period and you want Honda to assist you on the pricing of the battery? thank god honda give you the boot. i wish i can bring my flat screen t.v. 5 years after i spent a million hours watching and get a huge discount making it look like new. if i was in honda's shoe, i KNOW when to say no because it's stupid mooch customers like you that don't deserve their service. ;)

deboybtd 03-13-2007 02:16 AM

Obviously you agree that you should have to pay 2 to 3 times what something is worth in material and labor, I guess I can't argue with that logic.

livvie 03-13-2007 06:43 AM

deboybtd, let's say it's YOUR company... and I come to you with the same story. Now you may offer a discount which I can't believe you can't find some other DEALER in the area to help you out here.

clyde2575 03-13-2007 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by deboybtd (Post 115688)
Obviously you agree that you should have to pay 2 to 3 times what something is worth in material and labor, I guess I can't argue with that logic.

It is worth whatever the customers are willing to pay.

That being said...how do you really know what it "costs" them. Are you including the cost of R&D, future warranty, labor and personnel to process the work that needs to be done and the paperwork included? There are many things that go into the cost of anything and don't forget, they gave you at a minimum an 80k mile warranty (depending on where you are located) and you had the option to buy an extended one. Do you expect Toyota to cover your new car after the warranty, or how about your computer manufacturer? I think that you are asking an awful lot and if they are kind enough to help that is super but it is wrong of you to chastise them for not paying for your repair (in full or part) after the warranty has expired. Aside from you considering it good customer service, do you have any reason that this request is warranted?

Not trying to be a pain but I just don't understand where you are coming from.

Tim 03-13-2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by livvie (Post 115708)
deboybtd, let's say it's YOUR company... and I come to you with the same story. Now you may offer a discount which I can't believe you can't find some other DEALER in the area to help you out here.

$5000 battery replacements will be the death of hybrids, pure and simple. No one is going to buy a $20,000 car that has a known $5000 repair to make in 10 years. It's one thing if something fails and you have to fix it - it's the risk you take with any car. But it's just that - a risk. To know it for certain is a different matter. Press like this also trashes the resale ability on our Hondas, so I'm a little surprised at many of these posts. So what happens when one of us is trying to trade or sell our 8 year old HCH and you get a bunch of, "I read some where that it costs a gazillion dollars to replace the battery - no thank you." 100 bucks someone gets that story from a Honda dealership as they try to de-vaule an HCH trade in.

Point is it's one thing to say "what did you expect - deal with it" but realize the original poster represents all of us at some future point. I'm not saying that Honda owes anyone a free lunch on a pack with 144K on it, but realize that if Honda (Toyota, and others) don't find a way to make it an acceptable deal cost-wise to replace these packs we're all going to be hurting.

MBNorCal 03-13-2007 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by deboybtd (Post 115688)

i agree people like you don't deserve honda's service. plain and simple. yes, obviously.

livvie 03-13-2007 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 115798)
$5000 battery replacements will be the death of hybrids, pure and simple. No one is going to buy a $20,000 car that has a known $5000 repair to make in 10 years. It's one thing if something fails and you have to fix it - it's the risk you take with any car. But it's just that - a risk. To know it for certain is a different matter. Press like this also trashes the resale ability on our Hondas, so I'm a little surprised at many of these posts. So what happens when one of us is trying to trade or sell our 8 year old HCH and you get a bunch of, "I read some where that it costs a gazillion dollars to replace the battery - no thank you." 100 bucks someone gets that story from a Honda dealership as they try to de-vaule an HCH trade in.

Point is it's one thing to say "what did you expect - deal with it" but realize the original poster represents all of us at some future point. I'm not saying that Honda owes anyone a free lunch on a pack with 144K on it, but realize that if Honda (Toyota, and others) don't find a way to make it an acceptable deal cost-wise to replace these packs we're all going to be hurting.

The death of the hybrid will not be because of a replacement battery cost. The death of the hybrid is already starting because of other reasons... for one it's a gimmick in it's current state. Until hybrids produced FE numbers that are significatly higher, their days are numbered.

If deboytd can't get a better deal, then he is not trying hard enough. My guess is that he could probably get everything done for about 2k. Is 2k a hybrid killer?

deboybtd 03-13-2007 02:53 PM

I am still trying but when you call and write Honda of North America a couple of times, escalate the issue and they wont let you speak with a supervisor or manager (something typically unheard of from my customer service experience) it becomes difficult to negotiate a reasonable repair cost that I would be willing to pay, not to be argumentative but how hard should you have to try to get some assistance?