HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default EGR valve

Hi,
Is there any adavantage of removing this and cleaning it as part of routine servicing? My 2003 can has done 150K now with very little maintanence (luckky I guess). I have read numerous items which say people remove and clean the EGR valve and cleaning with card cleaner? What does the EGR valve do?

Thanks

Steve

Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EGR valve

I believe it recirculates the exhaust from the hot oil in the engine. I would clean it every few years as it can effect the way your car runs. Check out some old threads on this matter.
Cheers,
Hal

Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was thinking about this, and read up a bit. Here's one link of interest:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...e-up-mods.html

What I have done is to clean the throttle body. You don't have to remove it. Just pull off the air intake hose, and reach in there with clean rag and/or swabs, soaked with a little "Throttle Plate and Induction Cleaner".

Now, I wasn't able to find the stuff, the dealership parts department had never heard of it (even though the Service Manual prefixes the above description with "Honda"), one local Automotive supply also drew a blank.

I did have some Carbueretor Cleaner, which I used. I read that it might be too strong, possibly stripping coatings, etcetera. My can was so ancient that I was barely able to coax a bit out, so likely that worked for the good.

You'll likely see a black gummy build-up in there, both on the inner walls and the edges of the throttle plate. There is something being recirculated at that point, I'm not clear what, but that's causing the build-up I believe.

The Service Manual cautions to not clean near the pivot point of the throttle plate, that there is some molybdenum lubricant there. I did noticed a "stubborn" area near the pivot: it resisted coming off, and I finally thought that it was likely the aforementioned moly area, so left it alone.

Here's some reference on that, in a thread (Look for contribution by Orient Express):

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25596

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

So is this EGR valve the root problem that many CVT owners are experiencing, yet most believe it's the transmission as a primary culprit?