HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Dead 12V DC DC converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast
Question Dead 12V DC DC converter

I have a 2005 Civic hybrid what will not charge the 12 V battery. I assume the 12v DC DC Converter is bad. My question is the DC DC converter a separate component or a integral part of the IMA controller behind the rear set. What the best approach to fixing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Old 08-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead 12V DC DC converter

Report dash indications
Do 12V battery, CEL and IMA dash lights come on when key is in the ON position prior to start?
Check OBDII DTC
Check all fuses
Check 12V battery with load test
Check (likely replace) main (-) battery cable and ground straps (search recent posts for manual page showing location)

Old 08-31-2018, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snewland
I have a 2005 Civic hybrid what will not charge the 12 V battery. I assume the 12v DC DC Converter is bad.
It might be, but if the IMA battery is very nearly dead the car will enter a state where the 12V battery only charges when RPM are above a certain level. In stop and go driving that doesn't happen enough and the battery will drain. That type of failure happens a lot more often than the DC converter going out. That is part of what S Kieth's post before mine is implying.

So how do you know the 12V isn't charging? Is it that the car dies on you (lights out) or that the red light comes on that indicates no charging?

Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

The Hybrid battery and 12V were replaced in the last year. I'm measuring slightly over 12V at the battery is the only diagnostics far I have performed so far. I will charge up the 12V battery so I can start it up and down load the codes and check the fuses. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith
Report dash indications
Do 12V battery, CEL and IMA dash lights come on when key is in the ON position prior to start?
Check OBDII DTC
Check all fuses
Check 12V battery with load test
Check (likely replace) main (-) battery cable and ground straps (search recent posts for manual page showing location)

Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Have Codes 1433 fuel level sensor, P1600 Engine control module long term memory reset, P1570 traction control. Only the engine light is currently on, the battery light was on, but went off. I'm measuring 14V at the battery, so it look like the DC-DC convertor is working.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Where are you getting your code descriptions? Those make no sense.

P1600 is an IMA fault isolated to the IMA system.
P1433 is a battery failure code.
P1570 is an battery module individual voltage problem

P1570 means that the 10 places the car monitors the pack voltage (every 12 cells), they are out of whack. This is likely a cell failure of one or more cells.

All signs point to a failed hybrid battery.

You indicated the IMA battery was replaced. With what?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

The descriptions where from a real inexpensive code reader I bought. It just ask if the car was a honda, not a specific model or year so i was suspicious of them. Thanks for the correct data!!! This is interesting, the batter is a re-manufactured battery from Green Tac Auto that was installed in January this year. I sent them a e-mail with the codes this AM. It will be interesting to see if they will stand behind there 1 year warranty.

Again Thanks!!

Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

Time for a up date. Based on the codes Green Tec Auto sent a technician out and replaced the hybrid battery. It took to batteries to get all the code to go away, but the car is back on the road.

Thanks for the help!

Scott
2005 Civic Hybrid
2017 Accord Hybrid (Spaceship)

Old 09-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Are you saying that when they sent the technician out, he had to try a second battery after installing the first replacement?

Quick Reply: Dead 12V DC DC converter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands