HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Can the CD player be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Can the CD player be upgraded?

Back in June 2002, when I bought my HCH, MP3 players and CDRW drives were not as ubiquitous as they are today. Unfortunately, this means that the stock CD player has no line-in for my MP3 device and also cannot read CDRW discs.

So I was wondering if the standard HCH CD/FM player can be replaced with a more modern unit. Ideally, I'd like one that has line-in, a CF slot, and the ability to read CDRW discs. Has anyone else upgraded their player? Is it possible? Can they make the new player match the rest of the dash?

I plan on keeping my car for a while, so I'd like to upgrade the only thing I don't like about it.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can the CD player be upgraded?

Yes, the stock CD player can be upgraded. I upgraded mine to a Kenwood in-dash CD/MP3 player that also has a satellite radio tuner (Sirius) built-in to the unit. Bought it from Crutchfield because they sell you the other accessories that you need, plus they give you car-specific instructions. If you change your in-dash unit you will likely need a new radio housing (the trapezoidal-shaped thing that holds the radio and the storage compartment below the radio); Crutchfield has that as well. They have a number of units that they say will fit the HCH; check out their product offerings against the list of requirements you'd like a new radio to have.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade; CD/MP3 playback is great, and even the FM reception and fidelity are improved. I have made no changes/upgrades to the HCH speakers so far.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got the aux input converter that plugs into the cd changer port in the back of the factory radio. Works great. All you need in addition to this is a RCA to headphone adaptor cable and you're good to go. It's a simple plug-and-play, sometimes tricky to get the dash apart, but it's not too bad with crutchfield's detailed instructions (though be careful models vary even within the year so the instructions for my car were actually wrong and I broke something). A one hour install.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3i57ivn...X&i=469HO98AUX

Last edited by zimbop; 07-26-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abl703
Yes, the stock CD player can be upgraded. I upgraded mine to a Kenwood in-dash CD/MP3 player that also has a satellite radio tuner (Sirius) built-in to the unit. Bought it from Crutchfield because they sell you the other accessories that you need, plus they give you car-specific instructions. If you change your in-dash unit you will likely need a new radio housing (the trapezoidal-shaped thing that holds the radio and the storage compartment below the radio); Crutchfield has that as well. They have a number of units that they say will fit the HCH; check out their product offerings against the list of requirements you'd like a new radio to have.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade; CD/MP3 playback is great, and even the FM reception and fidelity are improved. I have made no changes/upgrades to the HCH speakers so far.
I've got a question - I'd like to do that as well. What did you do about the satellite radio antenna? I have a Sirius receiver right now, but it's dash mounted, not integrated into the radio.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
I've got a question - I'd like to do that as well. What did you do about the satellite radio antenna? I have a Sirius receiver right now, but it's dash mounted, not integrated into the radio.
I ran the antenna wire from behind the radio... up inside the lower part of the dashboard... underneath the molding below the right side doors, front and back ... behind the right-side seatback in the back seat ... out to the trunk ... and out of the trunk on the R side... then I tucked the wire (use a plastic tool, nothing sharp) under the rubber weatherstripping from the R side to the top of the rear window. I have the Sirius antenna located on the roof, along the centerline of the car, about 6 inches forward of the top of the rear window. (Sorry that I don't have photos. I hope this is somewhat clear.)

Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

That's actually how I did it too (except the wire runs to the driver side, left of the steering wheel). Thanks -