HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

A/C Compressor clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default A/C Compressor clutch

I have a 2004 HCH with 92k miles on it. I had a compressor clutch replaced 3 months ago at a shop specializing in A/C. I took it to the dealership recently and they said that this clutch is for a 2004 *Regular* Honda Civic, not a hybrid. The A/C shop says there is no difference, and that they put in "an aftermarket 6 groove clutch which is used for multiple applications." Honda dealership says there is a big difference in Honda Civics and Hybrids.

Can someone please help me figure out who is right? Dealership says there is a big problem with my car and it will cost $1400 to fix. A/C shop says there is nothing wrong. I obviously trust the dealership over some random shop.

Also, I should add that I brought my car to the dealership for a high pitched noise, which they said was because the wrong compressor clutch is pushing the belt off track. So I took it straight to the A/C shop for them to fix their mistake, they said there was nothing wrong with my car and the noise magically went away after they took it back and looked at it.

TIA!

Last edited by kellcl; 10-26-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
ASE Master Mechanic
Default Re: A/C Compressor clutch

Did the shop replace the clutch? or the entire compressor? Also, for 1400$ I'd love to know what the dealership wants to repair...

Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

38900PZA004 is the part number for the Hybrid A/C clutch, and there are three other part numbers for the 2004 non-hybrid civic depending on vtec, and if it's an SI or not

Old 11-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast

The part number on the clutch in my car does not match the Hybrid part number...It's not even a Honda part, it's a generic "universal" clutch. I've told the garage this and they say it doesn't matter, and that the clutch I have in now is fine.

Honda is charging $1400 for a new compressor, clutch and coil. (They say I need a new compressor because this wrong clutch is damaging it) The other garage charged me $1100 for what they did...they said they took out the compressor and repaired it and put in the new clutch and coil. There are no wear marks on the bolts that hold the compressor in, and it still has the old wires (this is what the dealership said..not sure if that part makes sense) so I'm not sure if this garage took it out or not.

Does it matter if this clutch is not for a Hybrid? Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

I'm not sure if it matters or not. I'd assume it does, but only because I see they are all different part numbers. 1100 seems high too. Looking at my books, it looks like 4.4 hrs of labor for the work and evac and recharging the system, and even a honda clutch and coil are 260$ ish. so, i maybe could see 700-800$ bill even for that work, using Honda parts. as far as the noise, well, it may have been mis-adjusted. But even the aftermarket ones i'm finding are different between hybrid and non-hybrid.

Now as far as Honda doing a replacement compressor, the part looks like 540$ for a new Honda one, and maybe 30$ of refrigerant, and 4.5 to 5 hrs of labor. so, 1000-1100$, not 1400.

I don't know, but its all these stories that is the reason i quit the dealership i was at. My reputation was being ruined by people that worked there and didn't do good work. I'd get lumped into all of them. Thats why i do it on the side now for people I know. We'd get called the "stealer" be so many. not cool.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

I just cheaply repaired my 05 HCH compressor. The bearing was shot, and I bought a compressor on ebay for $75. I used a metric socket and a piece of junk metal to hold the clutch in place while removing the bolt. Off came the old clutch. All I needed to replace was the bearing, but Honda wanted $1125 to repair it with a new compressor. The replacement was from a standard 1.7l engine, so it had the 6 groove pulley, instead of the 4. But it works, as long as you place the belt in the outer 4 grooves.
One note, the 1.7l clutch didn't work on the HCH, maybe because of a different alloy, or a different voltage to the coil, but I re-used my old clutch, and ALLAAA peanut butter sandwiches. Colder than January in Northern Wisconsin.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

I have this same problem with my clutch.

Your last line is confusing though...you replaced the clutch but the replacement didnt work, so you used your original clutch and peanut butter sandwiches...

Huh?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

I started hearing the bearing in my A/C clutch making sounds so stopped using the a/c until I could replace the bearing..........when I put on the a/c it sounds horrible, still blows cold but did not want to burn up the compressor. It seems that I can remove the clutch myself and have the bearing pressed in and my problem will be solved. Your thoughts?

Also I see that on ebay they want about $40 for this bearing. I have a Bearing Distributors location in town. I bet they could match it up for less than that. Your thoughts?