HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Originally Posted by nanduca
Hi all,

I just bought a used 2004 HCH. Planning to upgrade the audio. Here are the questions, if any Gurus can answer

- If I install an amp for my speakers, is that going to impact the fuel efficiency?
- How about an amp and a subwoofer? Would that imact the FE?

Thanks,

Nanda.
Nanda,
I did a pretty big audio/video upgrade (two amps/DVD/Playstation) and I didn't notice any difference in mpg.

The biggest factory for me personally was just in my driving habits. I have 200k on my Hybrid and I get 44mpg if I take it easy and keep it around 65 mph on the freeway.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rauldevil69
I have a 04 HCH and wanted to know if i connect the power cable for the Amp to the regular battery? and if so how do i route the cable from the trunk and threw the firewall?
If you do connect the Amp to your battery make sure you have an electrical fuse in between.

I made a small hole through the firewall to get to the battery and ran the wires down the side of my car. If you take off the rear seats you can find a few holes to run the wires to your trunk.

Good luck. I hope this helps

Old 09-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Where did you make the hole in the firewall? I don't see an obviously safe place.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davey
Where did you make the hole in the firewall? I don't see an obviously safe place.

Thanks!
I found an grommet near the lower center slightly towards the passenger side of the firewall. It's a bit tough to find.

I ran the wires through the center console because I have amps under both front seats.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

I pulled up a picture. I installed my stereo over five years ago so my memory is pretty fuzzy. Don't mind the Bud handle, but the grommet was kind of near the red arrow in the image

Name:  gucqb.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  102.1 KB

Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast

Wow thanks for the tip and the photo! After considering it more, i realized that for a hybrid the power source isn't the alternator up front, but it's the inverter that's behind the back seat- about 2 ft from where my powered subwoofer is! I plan to tie into there but didn't have time to pull out the back seat. I temporarily ran power under the fender lip near the windshield and into the passenger doer.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

I'm new at this but here's a pic from the manual of the inverter terminal.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76376534/ca...05%2023.23.jpg

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davey
Wow thanks for the tip and the photo! After considering it more, i realized that for a hybrid the power source isn't the alternator up front, but it's the inverter that's behind the back seat- about 2 ft from where my powered subwoofer is! I plan to tie into there but didn't have time to pull out the back seat. I temporarily ran power under the fender lip near the windshield and into the passenger doer.

Im not sure about the inverter behind the back seat but typically your aftermarket audio setup would be to run a low gauge wire from your battery in the hood (thats what I have) to your amps. Obviously you would want a fuse in between the amp and battery as well as a distribution block if you're running more than one amp.

Here's actually a good schematic:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...ng_diagram.gif

I didnt touch the battery behind the rear seat, because it had a scary warning death sticker on it

I never did get a chance to post the final product so here it is...

Name:  2r3Es.png
Views: 35
Size:  719.1 KB

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Enthusiast

Oh I thought that was the final product! LOL. I've worked on nuclear power plants and particle acceleration the size of a football field. Scary labels just tell me where they hid the good stuff ;-) It's only 170v, which is about what house wiring is on peaks, and certainly less than 220v. Of course there's more than just the voltage to be scared of, so don't let my humor get anyone cocky. All I'm messing with is the 12v wiring, which is the same wiring that connects to the 12v battery (a pretty scary thing itself and no doubt many more have been injured from that than an hybrid battery)

I have most of the factory wiring diagrams (including the scary stuff) if you need.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

I'd like to request the diagrams and scary stuff please (: