HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Hi all,

I just bought a used 2004 HCH. Planning to upgrade the audio. Here are the questions, if any Gurus can answer

- If I install an amp for my speakers, is that going to impact the fuel efficiency?
- How about an amp and a subwoofer? Would that imact the FE?

Thanks,

Nanda.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Default Re: Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Originally Posted by nanduca
Hi all,

I just bought a used 2004 HCH. Planning to upgrade the audio. Here are the questions, if any Gurus can answer

- If I install an amp for my speakers, is that going to impact the fuel efficiency?
- How about an amp and a subwoofer? Would that imact the FE?

Thanks,

Nanda.
Yes to both for two reasons

1) you will be using more electricity. That electricity has to be generated somehow.
2) weight. Subs aren't light. The more weight you add to your car the more FE hit you will take.

The hit will vary depending on how you drive. If you drive poorly and get poor mileage you might not notice it. But if you are trying to get the most MPG you will notice it.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would be really surprised if this had much effect on your FE at all. Good luck trying to detect the FE difference anyway, there are so many variables. In a sense you can convert the wattage used into an energy consumption figure, but unless the amp is really huge, I'd surprised if you noticed it.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM

zimbop.

Like this: http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/524328?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting 41 MPG now. Planning to install a 80W X 4 Amp. How much drop in FE, I can expect(aproximately)? If it's more than 2-3 miles, I wouldnt want to go for that.

Thanks,

Nanda.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nanduca
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting 41 MPG now. Planning to install a 80W X 4 Amp. How much drop in FE, I can expect(aproximately)? If it's more than 2-3 miles, I wouldnt want to go for that.

Thanks,

Nanda.
I don't expect it would be that much. The weight difference is probably going to be your biggest difference, and is likely similar to arrying an additional passenger, and the actual average wattage for listening to music will be far under the peak capacity of the speakers/amps, meaning the electric load will be less significant than driving with the lights on.

So, compare mileage with a passenger, or weight in the car, and the lights on during the daytime over some known route. The effect of the speakers should be less than what you observe in that scenario.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Since he is not running that large of an amp. I expect the amp probably only weighs about 5-10lbs. And if he isn't running a subwoofer then you are going to save a few pounds there as well. So yeah I think maybe 1 or 2mpg.

Double-trinity. I will agree with you. With what he is running you are right. I was thinking a sub with a nice large amp to go with it.

Nanda, Why are you only getting 41mpg in your car? Downtown driving? Short trips?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Just bought the car a week back. Still learning to drive the hybrid. The lady who sold it to me, was getting only 37mpg. I managed to get 41 with tips from this forum. Yesterday increased the tire pressure to 38psi and the mpg has been 50+ after that. Let me see how it performs in the long run. Shall update the forum with the results.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Great. And only 4 months until spring and you getting 60 out of that thing
We can hope right?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 04 HCH and wanted to know if i connect the power cable for the Amp to the regular battery? and if so how do i route the cable from the trunk and threw the firewall?

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade and amp in HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands