HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Tim- In the techniques you use, you didn't mention "driving with load" (DWL) as a technique. In my experience, its not enough to drive slow in areas with lots of terrain changes. You need to take advantage of momentum through the downhills (gaining speed as you decend) and minimize engine load on the uphills (feathering the gas pedal back as you ascend until you reach the crest of the hill). DWL has worked wonders for my last several tanks.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Along with what you've listed, here's what I do to maximize FE:
  • Coast to the max. When approaching a stop sign or red light, take your foot off the gas well short of the intersection and let inertia take you the rest of the way. If you're lucky, the light will turn green before you get there and you won't have to stop at all!
  • Keep a steady speed on the highway. Use cruise control if traffic is light and the terrain is fairly flat.
  • Air up. I keep the tires at 40 psi, and may bump them up to 42.
  • Lighten up. Any extraneous cargo you're hauling around adds weight and decreases FE.
OK, there's the good news. The bad news is that there are things limiting your FE that are totally out of your control, such as:
  • Climate. Your winters are cold and wet. Both are FE killers. Worse, your winters are l-o-n-g. Around here, 40 degrees F is parka weather. And the winters are short.
  • Traffic. You can be the most devout FE fanatic in the world, but stop-and-go driving will turn your dreams to dust. The vast majority of the time I work the overnight shift, which means very little traffic (especially outbound). And on weekends & holidays, I practically have the road to myself! Added bonus in summer: greatly decreased A/C usage.
  • Terrain. You've got lots of steep hills (and even some mountains). Another FE killer. Even the relatively shallow rolling hills we have here make a difference, and make cruise control a bad idea.
  • Roads. The rougher the surface, the worse your FE. The majority of my commute is on smooth roads.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Vegetarian

It's hard to say how I've done it, I don't have a solid routine when it comes to driving. The big thing I do is go 60 mph when I'm on the highway, I use CC but there aren't many hills here, I also try to limit AC use (the tank I'm on now is doing really well (60.5 mpg) because I've been doing most of my driving at night so it's cool and I don't have to use the AC... but also becuase the drive is perfect).

Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I do a lot of what's been suggested - guess it's an issue of environment. I do not have the option to take many different routes - they're all bad. Also, traffic is solid - much of it on 2-lane roads, so there's no room to maximize anything. Throw in a lot of hills - guess I should be content with what I have. Thanks -

Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tim,

The MPG meter is your friend and not sure of the 1gen HCH but, the 2gen I can actually drive up a mountain and get a good MPG it comes down to how slow you drive to get it though. This site has been a wealth of information for me in acheiving a good MPG. And hills depending on the height may actually be a good thing feather the pedal up and glide down. After reading I started putting the things I read to use and found them extremely helpful. Keeping a car in the 60MPG range I have to take my hats off because I am not that determined. I still drive at close to normal speeds and at times I'll go for all EV mode and assist during decents down mountains. Or even late when getting off of work. At these times are when you rack up a good MPG, reading, applying and the MPG meter are keys though. Good Luck.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

With what you describe, what you get is about right.

During the day, heat (a/c on and it can get too hot and start dropping efficiency in my experience) traffic (lights and driver's who don't understand momentum conservation in front of me), road work, and maintaining flow of traffic, I have gotten in the 42 range, I saw it dip under 40 once and had to change my route. But even without that I did manage to get it back up just by learning the pattern of the roads. If I know I am on a 2-lane, and people turn a lot, I put more space and watch for the signs of a slow down or stop.

If I drive the same roads at off-peak times, which gives me NO traffic, catch all green lights, and maximize momentum ... I can get nearly 70 mpg with no major efforts (even with the a/c running), this is about a 6-8 mile one way commute from a cold engine.

I don't FAS, or anything really special. I have learned how to drive as close to 40 mpg with assist while accelerating, get up to speed a little quicker if I have a hill/overpass just ahead of a red light, but in general, I have learned how to use the least amount of fuel to maintain my speed. I do maximize charge without friction brakes as a general practice. It helps me keep a more smooth driving approach and have slowly gotten better timing from this easily performed passive driving technique. I use more assist than some others, and I try to make up for it in other areas.

I have found 80-100 mpg easily attainable at 45 mph if the road is of good condition and the temps are right. I will admit, my car seems a bit quirky, sometimes I seem to be able to climb slight inclines with 60+ mpg, sometimes flat ground it stuggles to do the same. I do have tire pressure between 55-65 depending on my mood. I have taken the advice of another and get just a little above the limit and use that gap to get the car at a steady speed.

I would say take some time out, find a nice smooth road with some sections of varying conditions (flat spots, rolling hills, etc), with little traffic (usually at night) and just learn your car. Get on an intimate basis on its particular behaviors, and find out how it wants to be driven best. That is what I did. I found a state road with light traffic at night and took a few 100+ mile round trips. I was very happy the first time I found a 10+ mile stretch I could maintain 80+ on the instant, then I learned that I could get it to 120 and hold it with more experience.

I feel driving a hybrid is the same as anything, the more you do it, the better you get. If you were to go to an autocross event, each time you run, you learn something new ... or do as you are now, and ask what others are doing to lower their times. I believe you may be able to surpass the 40s with a/c if you can find a good place to get some good segments under your belt.

Are you absolutely certain you have 0w-20 in you engine? are you at least at the reccommended pressure or higher (cold)? Are you due for any fluid changes? Do you carry any extra weight? Do you still have the low rolling resistant tires? Have you tried a fuel treatment injection cleaner lately (not saying they work but maybe worth a try)? Is your route in such a way that it creates forced regen (which it is still possible to do 60+ with it)? Waxed your car (j/k )? Can't think of any other particulars that can have an effect at the moment, but if anyone else can ... oh, have you tried different shoes? I know it sounds funny, but some of my footwear makes it easier to control the pedal pressure than others. On a LONG trip sometimes I go barefoot to get a better feel and more control ... Managed almost 70 mpg on the interstate just with controlled foot pressure. Maybe listen to some relaxing music it helps some. I would definately not put on a 'racing' mix tape

It is possible to get amazing things out of these cars in near perfect conditions, but over 40 in traffic and heat ... is still quite a feat to do in my eyes.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
I do have tire pressure between 55-65 depending on my mood.
Woah, isn't 55-65 PSI way over the limit? I have my Insight's tires at 50 PSI, but that's already more than 10% over the rated 44 PSI Max. I don't know what tires you have, but putting an extra 10-20 PSI in them does not sound safe. I'd be afraid of a blow out with that much pressure in them.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Nagorak
Woah, isn't 55-65 PSI way over the limit? I have my Insight's tires at 50 PSI, but that's already more than 10% over the rated 44 PSI Max. I don't know what tires you have, but putting an extra 10-20 PSI in them does not sound safe. I'd be afraid of a blow out with that much pressure in them.
A while back there was a thread about tires having a safety margin and over inflating was said to be relatively safe. Personally I don't suggest going over the max rated pressure. I run mine at about their rated max of 44 but some tires are rated both higher and lower.....I've seen as high as 51 and as low as 32. YMMV

Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 AM
my other car is a FJORD

i, too, have a 40 mile commute, which i can do 90% on the highway. i almost always drive between 55-60 MPH, never over that no matter that i am being passed like crazy. i watch my pulse and glide, doing that even on small dips, it really helps. when i am really in the mood to up the MPG, i take the back roads, which i am lucky to have as an option, sounds like you don't, tim. i coast a lot of the hills in neutral (don't trust turning the engine off), and drive about 45 all the way home. other than that, i am just lucky. even before my HCH, i have been able somehow to nurse a lot of good MPG out of my hondas.......an 85 accord, which i miss.....my 93 civic, which hubby is still driving. the only one that gave me fits was the CRV.

you are still doing better than about 90% of the population, and at least you care

Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
Are you absolutely certain you have 0w-20 in you engine? are you at least at the reccommended pressure or higher (cold)? Are you due for any fluid changes? Do you carry any extra weight? Do you still have the low rolling resistant tires? Have you tried a fuel treatment injection cleaner lately (not saying they work but maybe worth a try)? Is your route in such a way that it creates forced regen (which it is still possible to do 60+ with it)? Waxed your car (j/k )? Can't think of any other particulars that can have an effect at the moment, but if anyone else can ... oh, have you tried different shoes? I know it sounds funny, but some of my footwear makes it easier to control the pedal pressure than others. On a LONG trip sometimes I go barefoot to get a better feel and more control ... Managed almost 70 mpg on the interstate just with controlled foot pressure. Maybe listen to some relaxing music it helps some. I would definately not put on a 'racing' mix tape
Bought the 0-20W myself - saw it go in. Tires at 45 psi. Fluids - check. No extra weight. Now I do have Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95 tires - part of my tire/wheel upgrade. They are, however, LRR according to Continental. Since my MPG is "about" the same as before, I think they're good. Car recently waxed...

I hit 3-4 50-51 MPG tanks last year in August, but I can't seem to approach that this year. Since the new tires top has been 47.5 or so. I'm hoping the wheel/tire combo didn't prevent a 50+ tank. I'll post some results in October on the whole thing - 1 year of data behind me.

I just can't see getting a 60 MPG tank. I can, under freakishly specific circumstances, but it quickly turns into more work on a long drive. And after a long day of work, I don't want to have to think that hard on the ride home.

Quick Reply: For all you HCH I drivers with 50+ MPG...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands