HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2005 HCH transmission shudder (surprise!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM
ASE Master Mechanic
Default 2005 HCH transmission shudder (surprise!)

Good looking forum! I've found a lot of great info so far, but needed a little more input from people that might know. I just bought a 2005 Civic hybrid with the CVT. I know there is a lot of on going problems with these, but I am outside the warranty due to mileage, 140K i think. The cluster was replaced in this one, but I think the mileage is over 100K.

Anyway, I had plans to rebuild the transmission and replace any worn bits. I started by draining the fluid, and it was burnt. I've seen enough cooked trannys come into our shop to know this smell and look immediately. So I pulled it out and took it apart last night and found no burned clutches, especially the "start clutch" looks almost new honestly.

So, two questions, First; could my problems all come from old/burnt fluid? and B; anyone use other brands of CVT fluid yet? like Redline or Eneos? Thanks for any info.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 HCH transmission shudder (surprise!)

Was there any driveability issues with the CVT?

My 2 cents: put it back together, fill with Honda's spec'd. CVT fluid.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

Yes, there were issues. I bought it under the assumption that I would need a new (or at least another) transmission. So I trailered it back, drove it off the trailer, up and down the road because c'mon it's my first hybrid and I love the technology of it all. But it did have a shudder from a stop till 10 or 15 mph, and then it felt normal. The regen braking seemed to really come on fast, to the point it seemed like i had just stood on the brakes, when i just barely touched the pedal.

Right now the plan is to put it all back together and new fluid (once gaskets get here), and see what happens. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it, but then again this CVT is still unknown to me. I know of the burnishing procedure, but is there any other type of re-learn procedure for this trans once it has new fluid?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Its to bad that you did not try the fluid change before dropping the CVT. In some cases Some folks banish with 3 drains fill run what-ever miles and repeat two more times. Something like this anyway. Sounds like you are a mechanic by trade so check it out. Most folks change the fluid every 20,000 miles there after. 3 quarts per change. Good luck, H

Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

I would have done that but the fluid was SO bad, I actually saved some of it in a 20 oz bottle. When I normally see fluid like that in cars that come to us, especially high horsepower cars, I'm willing to bet the trans is smoked. We have a small business and a mustang dyno, so we see some really broken transmissions from time to time. I'll dyno the civic when done to see what happens.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

ok, just found out that the fluid that was in it was the original fluid... that means 140K miles on it... that may be the problem

Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Think green.

If it was the original fluid, it was probably ATF-Z1 fluid, which Honda later decided was not good for the CVT. They now recommend Honda CVT fluid, and say not to use the ATF-Z1.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 11-03-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Keep us posted Adam. H

Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

Ok, so I'm at a bit of an impasse. Got everything cleaned, and going back together (getting new gaskets is a pain) and I'm having an issue pressing the start clutch basket back onto the shaft far enough to get the retainer back in. Any ideas how to do this? or should I just go to my local Honda dealer and see if they can just use the special tool to press it on and pay them what they want? The actual time to do the work will take less than 5 min, if i just had the tool. The number is 07TAE-P4V0120. grr, I'm going to the dealer Monday morning with the trans i think to see if they can use their tool and charge me less than 70$. to be continued....

Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Thats to bad, but I guess you have no choice in the matter. Special tools are needed on some of this high tech stuff. Good luck, H

Quick Reply: 2005 HCH transmission shudder (surprise!)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands