HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2004 HCH1 Heavy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2004 HCH1 Heavy Steering

Hi all, first post here. I just picked up a gorgeous low-mileage 2004 HCH1 5MT, and the only complaint I have about the car is that the electric power steering is very "heavy", or stiff, especially on the highway - It's startlingly different than my G1 Insight's steering feel. I spent the better part of an hour looking for a fix, but all I've been able to gather is that this is a relatively common problem, and that the fix is to replace the EPS rack and computer. Is there perhaps a way to adjust the amount of assist? Was there a recall I could take advantage of?

Also, I have a question about lean burn: My HCH1 has a "ULEV" sticker, much like my G1 Insight, which means it should have lean burn? However, I haven't been able to get into lean burn yet. On the Insight, it's as simple as letting off the throttle to around the 100mpg point - it then jumps up, and I can maintain lean burn down to around 70mpg, where pushing the pedal further exits lean burn, jumps down to ~50mpg and begins applying assist. Are there any common reasons it might not be happening?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 HCH1 Heavy Steering

Supposedly, HCH1 ULEV are, but SULEV aren't.

HCH1 is about 1100 pounds heavier than the G1. Lean burn in the HCH1 is a good measure less amazing than it is in the G1. What speeds? I can't remember the limits, but LB is likely effective at lower speeds than you're used to in the G1... aerodynamics.

Not sure about the steering. I have HCH2 & 2X G1 CVT. The G1 is definitely twitchy at highway speeds, but I can't say if that's weight or speed. HCH2 is notably heavier at highway speeds. I like it a LOT better.

Hopefully, someone with an HCH1 can comment on their feel; however, I expect you're just used to the G1 and the HCH1 just feels heavier.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

I just haven't been able to get into LB at all. Could be outside temperature, maybe - I'm in Vermont and it hasn't yet been above freezing, though my G1 enters lean burn fine at -15F without issue, once the engine coolant temperature gets above around 140F/60C. In the G1 I can enter lean burn at any speed too (some say no higher than 72mph but not in my experience), though I can't always maintain speed once in lean burn.

Regarding the power steering, on longer drives it's actually fatiguing to try and stay centered in the lane. The wheel doesn't recenter by itself very well because the steering is so stiff.

EDIT: It's not dangerously stiff, doesn't feel like PS quit, just easily the most stiff of any vehicle I've ever driven.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-04-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2003 HCH1 and my wife drives a 1999 Accord. The steering on these two feels about the same to me. We used to have a 2003 Protege5, which handled way better than either of the Hondas, but again, the feel of the steering, in terms of the effort needed to turn the wheel or keep it on course, was about the same. Bottom line, if you think the steering feels different enough from other cars to comment on it there may be something wrong.

I suppose that a bad set of tires could do this too, if they were especially sticky or very underinflated.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

This sounds like the problem I'm having with the steering:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...42/#post148413

Tires are fine. I currently have 44PSI in them. It could well be a joint that's stiff. I'll have to do a closer inspection in daylight tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

The weather has warmed up, and still no signs of lean burn. I've read that you can tell for certain if the car is in LB by looking at the O2 bank voltages, and I'm not seeing any indication of it.

HOWEVER, I do find that rarely, on the highway, the engine will start to vibrate badly, and either letting off the gas or mashing it down makes it go away, much like I'd do to exit lean burn in my Insight, suggesting it might be trying.

I thought it might be that the EGR valve or passages were clogged, so I pulled off the plate and valve and cleaned them, but they weren't bad and I still don't have lean burn. What else might prevent it from going lean? I priced a new set of plugs, but they're pretty silly expensive, so I'll pass on that for now.