HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

12 Volt Battery Question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 12 Volt Battery Question....

05 HCH1 with 60k...car doesn't get driven much...IMA light is on, check engine light is on and 12volt is on...assuming the IMA is dead can I drive with just the 12Volt .....and what functions does the 12 volt perform...when car is parked I keep 12 volt on battery tender jr...many thanks

I did do a search and got a variety of answers...haven't approached the dealer as yet as this happened today...

Last edited by philwford; 11-14-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Question....

The 12V powers the computer and the other typical systems. The IMA system with the DC-DC converter charges the 12V (you have no alternator).

With a fully charged battery and a completely inoperative IMA system, you can drive for short distances. If the IMA system is charging the 12V, you should be able to drive normally but w/o IMA assist function.

Head to Autozone or O'Reilly's and get the codes read. Write them down. You can reset all the codes by disconnecting 12V battery.

The IMA light, CEL and battery light suggest the DC-DC converter may have failed, but without the code, it's just a guess.

If your battery is more than 2 years old, consider replacing it with a 51R as a weak 12V puts a strain on the IMA system.

You should also consider buying or building your own grid charger to compensate for the fact that it sits a lot.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, as reluctant as I was , its at the dealer...just for the heck of it asked about a Honda Remanufactured battery..$2800... ...will post results...thanks again...

Oriellys 12volt is relatively new...

Last edited by philwford; 11-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM

A homebuilt $100 grid charger will likely extend the life if your IMA battery by years.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok dealer got back to me, IMA is dead and some board is fried ...$4100 to repair, the car was a gift, so I have no money in it..I told them to fix it..hope I didn't screw myself...warranty on work is 3/36... wish me luck

Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Good luck. The DC-DC converter was probably toast, hence the lack of charge. I still believe the IMA battery is salvageable, and they're just ripping you off.

On the other hand, you're set for a while. Averages out to $114/month for the next 3 years. Could certainly be worse, and it's a low-mileage car.

Good luck indeed!

Steve

Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well normally I would agree with the screwing part, but I got a buddie in parts running point for me and I trust him..helped me out in the past....

Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Fair enough. In my experience it's the guys in service who make the bad calls, not so much the parts guys. To the diagnostics, your battery is going to look like it's failed because it's horribly out of balance due to the lack of driving.

I don't mean to make you feel bad. I'm horribly distrusting of dealers. Just this weekend, a parts guy talked down to me like I had no idea what I'm doing. All I wanted was a price on the spark plugs. I made it clear that the prior owner had installed a different brand in the rear, and all eight were horribly worn. He still felt like he had to point out that these cars have EIGHT plugs, four in front and four in back, and they all need to be replaced at the appropriate interval, and I may be wrong on them needing to be replaced.

He finally told me they were $20 each. I thanked him and told him I prefer to save $6/plug at O'Reilly.

I think it was a service guy covering the parts line

Steve

Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

We are on the same page and you didn't make me feel bad...Im well aware of how the average customer is treated no matter the situation..., I have a Honda motorcycle that has never seen the shop, what little needed fixing Ive done...the technology on this car is beyond my pay grade...I did talk to Honda customer service and they are looking into a Goodwill Repair as the battery is just out of extended warranty and the young lady said I might get some assistance.... more later