HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

04 HCH CVT Steering problem- 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 04 HCH CVT Steering problem- 21k miles

We bought a Civic EX in 2001 and I commented how it was like steering a wagon if any of you have every experienced being pushed in your Radio Flyer. Son is now using the car as a commuter and has 160000 plus miles on it. Great car so far. Recently acquired (actually my son did) a 03 hybrid with 99K plus miles with a few charging problems (see other posts if interested). We have been driving the vehicle and the steering is similar to the EX but different. Can't say it "keeps going" in the direction that we steer, but does have an odd feeling that you have to correct back after steering in a direction. Also it has been describe as "sticking". Hopefully this is not another problem looming that is going to signal "junkyard" more strongly. Luckly not much invested so maybe the scrap price will cover it. Hey, the hybrid wheels might look good on the EX!!!! And I can alway keep the new 12V battery.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Think green.

Yeah, if you do a search here on the forums, you will find threads discussing how some folks described having that sort of steering problem.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Perhaps you didn't read the earlier post, but the hybrid model DOES have electric power steering.

Any resolution on this, my 2004 has the same issue, and it's driving me nuts.

Sam

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Nothing more from here. Son is commuting locally now in car (less than 3 miles) and has not complained.

When I read out the codes using the blinking dash light method a while back, it did have a stored EPS code (seems like it was a 23 or 16, no sure). I was never able to find anything that gave a definition of the EPS codes anywhere online. Are u getting a code? Do you have access to the definitions?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Think green.

John,

In the service manual there's a list of DTC codes for the EPS components.

It lists DTC 16 as "a problem with average of voltage for torque sensor VT3 and VT6"

DTC 23 is "a problem with the engine speed signal circuit"

Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

No, I have no codes, but my steering is stiff and terrible, with no sense of center at all... it's very difficult to keep the car from wandering all over the lane.

Sam

Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Sam. Sounds like the tight steering rack I suffered from a while back. If it's not under warranty it's probably $1,500 to $2,000 for a new rack. My story is contained in the early part of this thread, if you're interested.

I'm still driving my '05, now with nice leather Acura RSX buckets up front, and while the steering is greatly improved, it is not going to ever be as slick as cars with hydraulic power steering. I found that having the toe in set at the upper limit of spec will help centering, but only a very little bit and at a cost of a MPG or two. Spec is 0 degrees (dead straight ahead) which should, theoretically, be perfectly neutral. But any friction at all in the steering gear (i.e. the steering rack) is going to have the wheels going back and forth across center with each correction. My wife calls it scalloping and says it makes like a sober driver look like he's pushing the legal limit.

For short trips on local roads it's no biggy, but a 6-10 hour haul does becomes a bit of a chore, even with the much improved replaced rack. Before the rack was replaced, my wife simply refused to drive it at all. I had to drive it, of course, because it was my car and I bought it.

With 86K on the clock, I am planning to hold on to it until it no longer runs, which could be a good many years, since my wife's Accord is still the go to vehicle for all our longer drives.