Yukon 2008 Hybrid battery problems and test results

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Yukon 2008 Hybrid battery problems and test results

Thank you guys for advice. It's too late to cancel the order. They are already shipped. If anything, I have 30 days to return them.
Do you know any credible source to buy new modules for 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid?
I don't think I will find 2008 Yukon Hybrid on a junkyard with low mileage which still has battery pack.
Thanks

Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

New modules may only be obtained when purchasing new packs.

I just replaced the battery in a 2011 Silverado with only 57K miles. It's battery was completely destroyed - comparable to yours (I posted the test results on this site). This is not a viable option at all. Once a battery has been in a GM, the only sane assumption to be made is that it's damaged to some degree and shouldn't be trusted without detailed testing.

Jaime's suggestion is likely the highest value. Get 2X low mileage (2016) Prius C packs (20 each). You get a near-new pack for substantially less than the price of new from the dealership.

If there is ANY evidence of even the slightest damage to the boxes, refuse them if possible. If he's going to ship the modules in USPS boxes, they will almost certainly be damaged. These things require massive amounts of packaging to arrive safely. If the modules are in contact with one another and NOT clamped with something as effective as the clamp in the pack, they will almost certainly be damaged.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 AM

If you want to go minimum $ and time investment on testing the inbound modules, I recommend you get:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-40510A-comprobador-carga-bater%C3%ADa/dp/B07B3R4TS6/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=12v+load+tester&qid=1588267184&sr=8-12 https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-40510A-comprobador-carga-bater%C3%ADa/dp/B07B3R4TS6/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=12v+load+tester&qid=1588267184&sr=8-12

or equivalent.

That tester will subject a module to about 60A of load.

The "load test a module" link in my sig shows you how to attach to a module.

The process would be:
  1. Record SN of module
  2. Attach load tester to module.
  3. Attach voltmeter to module.
  4. Record resting voltage on voltmeter to X.XX accuracy (do not use the meter on the tester - Analog is too unreliable)
  5. Apply tester for 15 seconds
  6. Record the lowest voltage observed on voltmeter to X.XX accuracy THE MOMENT BEFORE terminating load.
  7. Terminate load
  8. Place tester in air stream of a fan to cool it for at least 2 minutes.
  9. Repeat on next module.
You'll have data that looks like: 1) Module Serial Number, 2) start voltage and 3) end voltage. Recommend you record in a google sheet and share it for review.

You'll have about $30 and 2 hours of time invested in testing and will give you more useful results than a couple weeks of testing using your proposed equipment.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

I just took out hybrid battery from my truck. I will do the test you suggest on my old modules. I just want to confirm that I'm supposed to apply tester for 15 seconds. Tester's manual says no more than 10 seconds.

What results are for the battery to be considered good?
Thank you.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:41 PM

There is nothing to be gained by testing your old modules. The discharge test has confirmed they're 100% bad. However, it might be useful to document so you can see what REALLY bad modules look like.

The criteria for good aren't specific as there are other variables. What you're looking for is consistency across all modules.

Please ensure you conduct each test exactly the same as best you can. Critical that all voltage measurements be taken with the same meter that is NOT the one on the tester.

Yes. 15 seconds. Hence, the 2 minute forced air cooling.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

CSV For Load Test Voltage drop for our old Modules 1 to 40 in 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid Hybrid Battery

Old 05-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
New modules may only be obtained when purchasing new packs.

I just replaced the battery in a 2011 Silverado with only 57K miles. It's battery was completely destroyed - comparable to yours (I posted the test results on this site). This is not a viable option at all. Once a battery has been in a GM, the only sane assumption to be made is that it's damaged to some degree and shouldn't be trusted without detailed testing.

Jaime's suggestion is likely the highest value. Get 2X low mileage (2016) Prius C packs (20 each). You get a near-new pack for substantially less than the price of new from the dealership.

If there is ANY evidence of even the slightest damage to the boxes, refuse them if possible. If he's going to ship the modules in USPS boxes, they will almost certainly be damaged. These things require massive amounts of packaging to arrive safely. If the modules are in contact with one another and NOT clamped with something as effective as the clamp in the pack, they will almost certainly be damaged.
i'd really like you to test my modules from 2008....

i'd really like to crack open that pack I don't have the High voltage gloves though

do you even need the gloves if your just cleaning the fan???

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 05-03-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mirek
CSV For Load Test Voltage drop for our old Modules 1 to 40 in 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid Hybrid Battery
As you can see, those results are all over the place. A healthy pack will have highly similar responses - typically within 0.1 to 0.15V total dV variation.

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
i'd really like you to test my modules from 2008....

i'd really like to crack open that pack I don't have the High voltage gloves though

do you even need the gloves if your just cleaning the fan???
HUH? Why would I do that for you? Why do you still have this car? I thought you were going to make the dealer take it back.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
As you can see, those results are all over the place. A healthy pack will have highly similar responses - typically within 0.1 to 0.15V total dV variation.

HUH? Why would I do that for you? Why do you still have this car? I thought you were going to make the dealer take it back.
everything is on hold because of whats going on.. it's just a stall tactic the bond company is using.. and with the courts closed there is nothing that can be done there