On your Hybrids, where are you experiencing your oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default On your Hybrids, where are you experiencing your oil leaks?

Oil Pan? Other locations? I seem to have a nice gusher somewhere around my oil filter. I believe there is a an oil plug up around there. Anybody had a similar issue with oil leaking above the oil filter?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: On your Hybrids, where are you experiencing your oil leaks?

Replaced the engine oil pan gasket and that got rid of one of the 2 large leaks that were staining the driveway, but still have some oil coming out of the valve cover gaskets and leaving brown stains on the engine. I'll get to that someday :-)
I also had a transmission oil leak. The whole pan was wet and also the slip yoke would get covered in oil. I replaced the transmission oil pan gasket (and both filters) and the aux oil pump gasket, but the leak was still happening at the slip yoke. It would fling oil all underneath the Tahoe. I replaced the rear transmission case seal that the slip yoke goes into, but that didn't fix it either. Finally, I cleaned the back cover of the slip yoke with brake cleaner and smothered it with black RTV. It's been a few months and still leak free. There is no vent hole in center of the slip yoke seal, so it must have been leaking from the outer edges.

Last edited by Jaime; 12-17-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: On your Hybrids, where are you experiencing your oil leaks?

On the area above the oil filter there is a cover for the oil cooler line connection, it has a bolt on cover plate that some people have stated have had leaks there. Has a gasket under the cover.
I have an engine oil leak that looks like it is coming from between the transmission bell housing and engine block. Just barely seeping so I fabricated a 16ga galvanized metal oil catch pan to try to keep it from dripping on my driveway. It bolts to the frame crossmember and appears to be working OK except the oil drip hits the sway bar and then runs along it and still ends up dripping outside my pan! I am thinking maybe a couple of plastic wire ties on the sway bar would stop that and MAKE it drip into the pan LOL
I suspect that the either the engine rear main seal or rear main cover plate is leaking looking at where it is seeping out at. Of course it could be the oil pan where it connects to the cover just hard to say. I am not planning on doing anything to it at all until next spring when the weather warms back up. Had my driveway sealed recently so not very interested in seeing my "beater ride" make oil spots where I park it. 2009 Tahoe Hybrid +234k miles currently.

Last edited by dnt1010; 12-24-2020 at 06:41 PM.