whine in auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default whine in auto stop

I finally got the Tahoe hybrid i was searching for! 2009 & i love it! but i'm hearing a whine in the engine comp. when it's in auto stop, & it worries me. anyone else have this happen? it all most sounds like a belt, or kinda like when a power stearing pump is dry. i haven't taken it to the dealer yet, no way to make it make the noise. it happens randomly. stops when engine starts. thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: whine in auto stop

Does this video match your noise?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

yes, that sounds about right. maybe not as loud, hard to tell since the person was moving around so much. but the sound was right, do i need to take my tahoe to my dealer? thanks for the help!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mountain girl, I'm sorry to read that you've been experiencing these frustrations! If you decide to take your Tahoe to your Chevrolet dealership for them to attempt to duplicate the noise, please let me know. I can always contact the dealer at any point to follow up on your behalf.

I'm reachable via direct message for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service

Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

I just heard this for the first time recently. I was hoping it was a fluke. I'm glad to hear it is "normal".

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought my 2010 Sierra Hybrid last weekend and heard this noise for the first time this weekend. I checked the transmission fluid level and it was way below the cold mark. Put a quart of fluid in it and didn't hear that noise. When I came home and put the groceries away the sound came back when I left to fill the gas tank...wishful thinking I guess.

mountain girl: I'd be interested to know what the dealer said if you decided to take it in for a look.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to HillyBilly !! This video is useful...

Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Does this video match your noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkz24zsseWc
Is this intended to be normal operation? Because it sounds like air/cavitation in a positive displacement pump to me. I've got the same noise right now, and having had a 2008 yukon hybrid for 5 years I've never heard it til now. (Current vehicle is 2012 yukon hybrid denali)

Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is not normal, It causes no harm. It is annoying. A transmission replacement or front pump housing will make it go away.

No way to know if it would come back.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the response. I'm not willing to put up with the noise, especially given that I only bought this thing a month ago. Looks like I've got an uphill battle for a full replacement because I've noticed a couple flares under heavy load or heavy acceleration along with the noise. Seems they made a change sometime after 2009 that forces the transmission to behave like a cvt instead of shifting through the fixed gears when under heavy load.

You wouldn't happen to know of any competent techs for these in the minneapolis area would you? I doubt it but have to ask; I've been more knowledgeable about these trucks than most of the techs I've dealt with, and it's not exactly confidence inspiring when i'm telling them how it's supposed to work.

Quick Reply: whine in auto stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands