What Mileage are you really getting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What Mileage are you really getting?

What I've gathered is that it requires you to "hypermile" somewhat to get the EPA claims of 20/20. I don't care to do that for multiple reasons; it's boring, traffic takes off much faster than the car accelerates in electric only mode, I like to keep a constant speed when I am climbing a hill, and it's boring. Although I have driven this thing softly enough to get an average of 23.5mpg for one tank, it took a very soft right foot, and people behind me in traffic being obviously annoyed. With that said, I average 18mpg mixed driving, using the available power to accelerate and cruise at 78-83mph on the highway. You'll have to read the other sections as far as problems, but my brakes work just fine. I have had a random shut down though... dealership read a code from the 300v battery's circuit that cut power because of a random signal from a crash sensor, however no other crash related items had the fault.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think you should need to do any type of hypermiling in order to get the EPA estimate. From what I know they use a consistent driving technique on a consistent course to get those numbers. For the most part, you should be able to get those numbers by just jumping in an driving.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

EPA numbers are from a computer program and a chassis dyno, not actual road testing. The Tahoe, I can't get the EPA numbers, but my VW GTI and Passat we had before this regularly get/got higher than rated, and being turbo cars with sporty chassis I drive them a lot harder. It's all in how manufacturers set up the cars. They can design a car around the given test parameters to get better scores and sell more cars if they like.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

I am getting 18 mpg with new non-rolling resistant tires. 95% around town driving, up and down hills. My Denver-area dealer told me that's pretty good considering the non-hybrids get somewhere around 13.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Administrator

I'm looking to see 25mpg on my drive to the west this holidays!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

I went from an overall average of 18.4 to 18.7 on an 860 mile total expressway trip where I took my time and kept it at 59 mph.... have yet to figure the actual mileage from the gas register receipts, will post them when I do.....according to the trip computer, it registered on full as much as 514 "miles remaining"..... go figar ;-)

Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

Just catching up, finally caught up with a Hybird Tahoe. I ask him what was he getting in the city. He first said, crappy. Well u know what he actually said. I ask for a number. 18 in the city. Also caught up with a Suburban. City is of course slow. High way they were getting 38.
That is what I kind of figure what the Tahoe was getting. Guess he does not understand with a gas would get 10 to 11. (Sigh.) Still looking for a use one. Tom

Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just about 3000 miles on the Silverado now, and the lifetime average is up to 19.3 MPG. Not excellent, but not too bad either. A bunch of those miles have been in 4WD through lots of snow. Most of the miles have been driving up and down the Sierra's from 7900 feet to sea level and back.

If I was a lowlander in SoCal weather - I suspect the mileage would look pretty good.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast

As we all know, when the manufactor say 15 on a gas engine, your going to get 10 - 12. Of course they test on a road that is flat, maybe in a valley with no head wind.
Hmm 19 on Sliverado is not bad. 18 on a Tahoe. I can live with.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

2013 hybrid (am i the only one here with a new one) w/ less than 1K miles on it. i have 22" wheels running 285/45 tires. the dic reads 17.6mpg avg and I drive city/hwy mixed 90% solo driving. i'm satisfied. more power. markedly better mpg like for like. i was used to 13-14 mpg super unleaded suvs that get 230 miles a tank.

Quick Reply: What Mileage are you really getting?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands