Time for a Battery for 08 Tahoe with 205k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Time for a Battery for 08 Tahoe with 205k miles

I am planning to let my kid drive the HYHO when she turns 16, in a few months. However, the quirks I deal with, I don't want her to deal with (stalls from a stop, lurching at low speeds, sometimes not braking properly). It's time to replace that big battery as they aren't getting any cheaper or easier to find. I've read most of the battery posts over the last several years. Am I ok, with a refurb...yes because I just want to run the HYHO until it falls apart as a 3rd vehicle.

S_Keith - do you sell modules? I am capable of tearing that pack apart and installing 40 modules.
Greenbean seems like an OK choice for my need and they are now giving an 'unlimited warranty'.
Has anyone used or seen the hybrid battery Summit Racing sells - it's basically the same price as Greenbean with a 3/36 warranty, but it is Summit Racing? I can pick that up here in Atlanta

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by dawgfan1606; 01-22-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Time for a Battery for 08 Tahoe with 205k miles

No. I do not. Do what Jaime did. Source two low mileage Prius C packs for about $2K. That will be better than any offering from anybody else unless it's new from GM.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

if it's not braking correctly i would have them inspected

when the dealer sold the crap one on the lot the rear brakes did not work at all tell one day it fully locked up when I was going 55mph (had a green light hence going that speed)nearly causing an accident with 2 other cars.. luckily it happened on a off ramp if it would have happened 30 seconds earlier it would have been a pile up on the freeway with some 18 wheelers and many cars...i was going 75mph then...

if they are ok I would have the 12volt battery and cables replaced... the 08/09 had a design issue that allowed the cables to come loose overtime .. this is why people that replaced the transmission AUX pump placebo effect of it being "fixed" as the cable was re-secured to the battery after the pump being replaced (they disconnect the 12v & HV battery before working)

aka auto stop lag resume...

I got to replace mine as well but i just temporarily fixed by soldering the connection.. where i had the issue

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-22-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
No. I do not. Do what Jaime did. Source two low mileage Prius C packs for about $2K. That will be better than any offering from anybody else unless it's new from GM.
dawgfan, I'm in auburn and in need of a battery rebuild as well. If we find 3 prius packs we can cut cost some and build two batteries.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by BamaPaul
dawgfan, I'm in auburn and in need of a battery rebuild as well. If we find 3 prius packs we can cut cost some and build two batteries.
You're likely going to pay a huge premium for Gen4 Prius batteries, which may or may not result in savings.

Do not purchase packs with > 30K miles on them. Do not purchase packs from models prior to 2016.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
if they are ok I would have the 12volt battery and cables replaced... the 08/09 had a design issue that allowed the cables to come loose overtime .. this is why people that replaced the transmission AUX pump placebo effect of it being "fixed" as the cable was re-secured to the battery after the pump being replaced (they disconnect the 12v & HV battery before working)
I haven't had a chance to look at the battery cables. Are they just normal 12v battery cables on the hybrid?

Old 01-29-2020, 04:59 AM
Administrator

not sure if it applies to you. just have it replaced by the dealer. they will give you full replacement 12 month warranty which is worth it.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by evois
not sure if it applies to you. just have it replaced by the dealer. they will give you full replacement 12 month warranty which is worth it.
I recently checked and the price the dealer pays now is more than yours cost on your 2009 Exky. Over $4k list. Ouch! But it is a way to get all new good cells.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Yup, dealer gave me $3600 yesterday. Now, the truck has been running great in this 30* weather. Maybe I can rig up a cry-cooler for all the hybrid components

Quick Reply: Time for a Battery for 08 Tahoe with 205k miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands