Scan gauge ii

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Scan gauge ii

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Scan gauge II for our Hybrids? Is it worth it for the information received?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scan gauge ii

Hi Ken...I will do a little research and see what I come up with. I don't know if the truck has an accessible OBDII port to hook into. I am sure it does but you never know. My old truck had one but haven't checked here. It will tell instant info on much more than we get in the display including coolant temp which would be good to know if you consider doing a grill block. I will look and then hook mine up...see what I get and report back! I stated in another thread I bought it for the Prius and many hybrid drivers use it...just don't know if we can get much benefit from it.

Last edited by txav8r; 01-18-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: -
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

All vehicles sold in the US have an OBD-II standard data link connector in order to be compliant. The connector design has been standard since OBD-II became mandatory in 1996. Before that every car maker had their own design. And the port is always on the driver side under the steering column somewhere. There are specs for a minimum amount of information the vehicle has to display on any generic scan tool, like basic engine and fuel trim data, pending and SES/MIL codes, and inspection readiness. Manufacturer-specific scan tools, like GM's Tech II, can access a lot more data, and have a lot more functions.

To find out more the OBD Wikipedia page is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Also look up SAE J1979

Last edited by KC135R; 01-18-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: additional sentences.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Name:  awdengagedus233.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  107.4 KB
One can be creative with the use of a scanguage or multiple scanguages. Before one purchases this item, they need to check with the website to find out if the company (scanguage) vertifies the hardware can read the PID or sensors in your vehicle.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks KC135R...I knew it was supposed to have the hookup but didn't know it was a requirement to be in the cockpit. Still, it may not reach to a suitable location for permanent use. I have it in the Prius as I said but really don't use it, so I will hook it up and let you guys know. It will read a bunch of stuff. Also, didn't know you could hook them in series.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Thanks Mel for your help, and thanks KC135R for the data. Billyk nice displays and a lot of data. Is GM'S Tech II commercially avialable? Is it some kind of floor model or portable?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 AM

Hi KC135R the web site you provided answered my questions, thanks for the help.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

My pleasure. There are a number of laptop-based scan tools commerically available. EZ-Scan is one I've used in the past. The OEMs are going away from the dedicated handhelds, like Tech II, NGS tester, etc because the hardware is so expensive. Snap-On makes nice tools with plug-ins for individual OEMs so you can get more detailed info.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks KC135R I will look into the snap-on units as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

On my 2010 Silverado it looks like the OBDII port is under the steering column right at the bottom of the dash plastic. Very easy access - you can just reach down while driving and touch it.

Any luck with interfacing the ScanGauge? I talked to Linear Logic and they indicated they didn't have any particular information about the GM 2-mode hybrids. Maybe someone else has stumbled across the right codes to monitor the SOC, etc.

Has anyone been successful with any of the other tools listed in getting SOC information?

Quick Reply: Scan gauge ii

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands