Retractable Rear View Outside Door Mirror Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Retractable Rear View Outside Door Mirror Question.

On the 08 yukon Hybrid, Does your passenger door mirror electronically retract in and out when you hit the button on the driver side door control panel?

I thought it did at one time, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 AM
aka soulsea
Default Re: Retractable Rear View Outside Door Mirror Question.

Yup, if you have the power-fold mirror option then both mirrors should fold.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to see HyHoe was able to help! Fun Times, please let us know if you have follow-up questions or other Yukon questions. And please feel free to send me a private message anytime if you have further questions you'd like me to research on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Katie,
I am still waiting for your feedback on my issue with the aux or brake pump sound.
It's been a while
Please advise
Thanks
Guss

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Retractable Rear View Outside Door Mirror Question.

Thank you both for helping me out with this question, It is very much appreciated.

Thanks Katie for monitoring this website forum, It's nice to know that GM likes to keep an eye on what's going on with their speciality vehicles they have produced. I'm sure it helps everyone at GM as it does the vehicle owner's as well.

Now I wonder why the passenger mirror does not work.

It's an option I've never needed to use until recently. I just recently rearranged my garage with a new freezer and shelving units and now that the mirror sits inline with the new freezer it would make it more convenient to fold in the mirror to either walk by or open the freezer door.

It appears that the mirror has no 12 volt power going to it as it does nothing to try and retract, But you can still adjust the mirror so it must have 12 volt power going to it unless they are separated power links or fuses?

I have not really checked anything out as of yet because my thoughts are that maybe because the driver side door panel as been torn apart so many times under warranty for many things that i'm afraid that maybe one of the service techs at one of the two service shops i frequent may have accidently pulled out one of the wire connections going to the button and it never was noticed until recently.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
aka soulsea

Most likely a defective motor, it happens ... my driver's side mirror lens will move side to side but not up and down.

You can take it to the dealer for them to replace the motor but it might actually be cheaper just to get another mirror like yours from ebay. Then you'd have to take out the inside door panel to swap it out. I can link you to a 'how to' from another forum if you don't know how to do that.

I mean you could buy just the motor, take the lens out, and swap it for the busted one ... but keep in mind that removing the lens is a 50-50 prop that it'll break, I've seen service departments bust two or three before they manage it.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Fun Times: I'd be happy to assist further and see I have a new private message from you, so I'll reply shortly to you via PM. Glad to help!

Guss: Thank you for checking in with me! I still have not come across any official updates, but I would be happy to explore further for you as well. Since GM TAC are aware of the buzzing sound, do you know if your service department had an official case number regarding the issue? If not, sending me your VIN and full name will help me research a bit better; this would allow me to see if there were any service updates issued for your particular vehicle. Since I realize VIN is sensitive information, please feel free to send me a private message with that info!

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service

Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
aka soulsea

FT ... just another thought ...

The likelihood of a tech forgetting to plug something in is somewhat remote in this case ... from what I remember, when I swapped my mirrors to the escalade mirrors, the plugs are right there next to each other. So unless the guy was blind, there's little chance he wouldn't notice an unplugged harness. I take it your mirror's led turn signals work?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyHoe
Most likely a defective motor, it happens ... my driver's side mirror lens will move side to side but not up and down.

You can take it to the dealer for them to replace the motor but it might actually be cheaper just to get another mirror like yours from ebay. Then you'd have to take out the inside door panel to swap it out. I can link you to a 'how to' from another forum if you don't know how to do that.

I mean you could buy just the motor, take the lens out, and swap it for the busted one ... but keep in mind that removing the lens is a 50-50 prop that it'll break, I've seen service departments bust two or three before they manage it.
Thoes are some good ideas to consider as well, Thank you.

It appears that there are a quite a few choicse to choose from when it come to outside mirross when looking up new ones. I do have chrome covers in place of the stock black covers though.
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...exID=TC1643401

Originally Posted by HyHoe
FT ... just another thought ...

The likelihood of a tech forgetting to plug something in is somewhat remote in this case ... from what I remember, when I swapped my mirrors to the escalade mirrors, the plugs are right there next to each other. So unless the guy was blind, there's little chance he wouldn't notice an unplugged harness. I take it your mirror's led turn signals work?
I was thinking more along the lines of the wire pin pulling away/backing out from touching the button itself rather than the tech not plugging it in.

That door has been a part so many times that i have lost count and it has me wondering if it has compromised the wire connection somehow.

Yes, the turn signals work, it will adjust up down side to side, Not sure if the heater works, But it will not retract in or out using the button on the door.

Thanks for your help with this.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
aka soulsea

Well if I'm not mistaken your mirror is the powerfold heated one with the dotted arrow and puddles. I think the hybrids, if they are like the other versions, didn't switch to the linear arrow till 09.

You can get used ones in very good condition for around $100 on ebay and just swap the top cap. Or you can get new oem style aftermarket ones as well.

Quick Reply: Retractable Rear View Outside Door Mirror Question.

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands