questions about the tahoe hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default questions about the tahoe hybrid

i'm considering purchasing a tahoe hybrid, but i live in the mountains & don't know if it will be worth the extra cost. we have 4 kids and need the room. my husband has been told by a couple dealers that it wouldn't be worth it (ofcorse they had a regular tahoe the were trying to get us to buy instead) so half the time i don't believe what they say. i really could use some advice from someone who lives in hilly/mountainous area & has a tahoe hybrid. also any info on backing up in electric mode only, my husband is worried about that if we are towing a trailer & have to back up a hill. all advice/help is appreciated! thanks-Prairie

Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: questions about the tahoe hybrid

Hi mg,

The upshot of the hybrid is that it has a more powerful engine than the base tahoes and yukons, both in hp and in torque, so from a towing point of view I imagine it to be a superior vehicle. That said I do not tow so I can't speak from experience.

As far as mpg, again I cannot add anything of import relevant to mountainous terrain as I live in an urban environment ... but the 2mode is built to be efficient in all driving environments so I don't see why this would be any different, though granted the benefits might be lessened.

No worries about backing up in electric mode, the vehicle does not allow it ... it always reverses on engine power, at least mine does.

Cheers!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I qualify....

welcome aboard...

I live in the mts 5000 to 10000 ft. my yukon works flawlessly here and with the traction system it goes quite well in the snow. If I were to buy another one I would buy another hybrid without question. the dealerships IMHO are only in to the bottom line and DO NOT promote this vehicle properly.
As hyhoe said it is a lot better than my friends 2009 tahoe I was amazed when I drove his as mine was so much better smoother and more powerful he said the same thing to me when he drove mine....good luck with your choice.

Last edited by jet1; 01-25-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for the help! i have really wanted a tahoe hybrid for a while & i have my eye on a nice 09. they sure are rare, i've been looking for over a year. i'm really glad i found this web site, lots of great info. i already wrote down the upgrades that kklein made to his tahoemy husband was very interested in that!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default how about my latest mod...

Originally Posted by mountain girl
thanks for the help! i have really wanted a tahoe hybrid for a while & i have my eye on a nice 09. they sure are rare, i've been looking for over a year. i'm really glad i found this web site, lots of great info. i already wrote down the upgrades that kklein made to his tahoemy husband was very interested in that!
I just converted my yukon to a 3 mode by adding CNG as a fuel source! the first 3 mode in the country

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ost-now-27537/

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mountanin Girl,
I live in a hilly city, hardly any flat roads, I average in the city 16 MPGs with a lot of short drives.
on highway I can get up to 20-21 MPG range.
I am sure it is much better than regular Tahoes, where the mpgs can easily drops to 12 MPGs.
As for backing up, I personally don't tow, and yes the Hybrid has no Reverse gear, it goes back on electic power only. in 2010 models, you can back up without having the engine start as well (silent autostop mode)
But I am sure the power is there, and this vehicle is designed to tow trailers, so I Am sure it does a good job.
there are other in the forum who can answer this with more details from their expereince.
Hope this helps
Regards
Guss

Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 AM
aka soulsea

That's interesting Guss,

My 09 will only back up on engine power with a reverse gear ... as soon as I shift into R from auto stop the engine kicks in.

Mmm ...

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yes Serge,
Thats a 2010 Option also 2010 has a USB connector and Blue tooth to connect your phone

Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 AM
aka soulsea

My 2010 Denali is getting delivered this afternoon ... I shall be usbing all weekend!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: questions about the tahoe hybrid

So far, when I've towed my 4200ish pound boat, I have not ran into any problems in both forward or reverse.

Reverse even has enough power to help get my left front wheel over the small side of the curb outside my house while backing the boat into my side yard from a dead stop.

Even in the mountains, you will love the power this vehicle has + the fuel you will save in this style vehicle is really unbelievable compared to a normal 6.2L style yukon denali for instance.

It's nice having the power of a V8 (332 HP) and getting about the same MPG as a midsize underpowered car either around town or out on the highway,etc,.

I like this yukon hybrid so much that I don't think I would want another non hybrid style SUV if we can help it.

Last edited by Fun Times; 01-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: questions about the tahoe hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands