New wheels = void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New wheels = void warranty?

Yeah, the other day, I tried to write the word that is similar to the earthen concrete object used to hold back a lake/river...it put in ****...I had to laugh.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

All -- thanks for all the feedback. It's a pretty lousy predicament. The biggest thing holding me back from just getting new wheels/tires and just switching back to stock prior to any dealership work would be the fact that I need a leveling kit on the front to fit in the newer tires. I don't have the time/space/resources to pull that off each time, especially considering the alignment issues, etc. End of the day, I'm stuck with these wheels/tires.

Best case scenario, I could switch to any other wheel that is found on the Tahoe Hybrid as opposed to the Silverado hybrid. But no change in tire size. They did say there is no issue at all with different tire styles (LRR vs AT), so long as they remain the stock size.

I don't like it at all. I guess when I get 5 years on this puppy I can do whatever I want. Or I can just take on the liability (no desire at this point to do that).

Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Howdy bulrey...don't fret son...it ain't no big thang. Just run these wheels/tires. I know how ya feel. I had my Michelin's and got 80K outta those bad boys two sets in a row. So I hate not being able to run them. Guess I could if they would make them in 18"'s. Let me tell you a few facts. First off, the tire, Bridgestone that came stock on mine, is not a cheap tire and not a bad tire. Matter of fact, it is a latest technology, highest mileage tire out there for our trucks...so I am told. And the wheels...well, should I admit this...I went through one of those drive thru car washes and scratched a wheel. Just the outside bead right next to the tire. So the dealership polished it out...looks nice but still damaged. Then on the following wash (by hand), I notice that I have chrome flaking from the opposite wheel (oh Lord, why couldn't it have been the same one?). So they order me an new one and replace it...$846.00 installed!!! That wheel after further examination is a great wheel. It was designed specifically with the GM trucks in mind. It is supposed to have the structure to provide the durability and longevity of a normal GM (Chevy) wheel. I didn't like the chrome clad aluminum but then again, as long as it makes it 100K miles, I figure it will go the distance. Until then, they can replace them. And after about 5500 miles, they are still looking very good and seem to be pretty durable. Yes, the tires are harder and less sticky than my michelins but the jury is still out on their longevity. So far though, I like the way they ride...and...I run 40psi in them all the way around. So, do the 5 years and go with whatever you want. Good luck to you and btw, what part of the country are you in?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Mel -- I also run 40psi and don't have major issues with the tires or wheels themselves. More going for a "look" I guess, but maybe this is what I get for wanting to pull down the mpg and efficiency of a hybrid truck.

Love the truck, very glad I didn't buckle and get a Tahoe... that would've been the wrong decision (for me). I guess now I've got something to look forward to when the truck gets age and miles on it! I'm in North Carolina these days, but make the drive home to Arkansas to see family/friends a couple times a year.

It would be great to see any memo/letter that GM may have released regarding voided warranty and the Hybrid. Is there a public/online resource to search?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Anybody have a copy of that?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bulletin No.: 07-08-44-004A
Date: April 15, 2008
Subject:
Diagnostic Information on Navigation Radio Aftermarket Modules Causing Various LAN Communication Concerns and DTCs, No Crank, Vehicle Stability Lights and Messages, TPM Warning Lights, PRNDL Position Errors Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year, the Sierra model and clarify/add information (Updated information is shown with asterisks). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-44-004 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
Some customers may comment of one or more of the following concerns:
^ Vehicle will not crank. ^ Vehicle cranks but will not start. ^ Vehicle stability enhancement system warning lights and messages. ^ PRNDL gear indicator position errors. ^ Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system warning lights. Technicians may find various Local Area Network (LAN) communication Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and no low speed LAN communications with the Tech 2(R).
These conditions may be caused by the installation of an aftermarket navigation radio module.
It has been brought to our attention that some customers may be installing and using certain aftermarket products that are used in conjunction with the factory navigation radio systems.
*These aftermarket products allow the user to display the video output of the DVD player on the navigation screen while driving the vehicle. Normally the DVD output is only available on the navigation display when the vehicle is placed in PARK. These aftermarket products may include additional features such as an aftermarket camera or a second backup camera. These products may enable other navigation functions to operate while driving that would normally be available only when the vehicle is placed in PARK*.
Dealers have found that these products can cause unusual problems that are difficult to diagnose. These products may be difficult to identify because they are installed behind the navigation unit and are not visible unless the navigation unit is removed.
*Technicians may also find aftermarket ipod interface modules installed on the vehicle. These modules may cause intermittent XM reception or the tab on the navigation screen for XM disappears intermittently*.
If you suspect that the customer has installed aftermarket products of this nature and you suspect that the product may be the cause of the concern, you should ask the customer if any vehicle modifications have been made.
Additionally, if the customers information is not available, you may want to test the navigation and DVD system to see if normally blocked functions are available with the vehicle in DRIVE. Removal of the navigation radio will also allow you to verify if one of these products has been installed.
Warranty Information
Warranty coverage does not extend to problems created by aftermarket devices. Damage to normally covered systems caused by aftermarket products is the responsibility of the customer or the aftermarket installer.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Canuck...for the lockpick letter. Anybody have a copy of the bulletin for the wheels/tires?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi I believe that the exception here would be the tires as the original tires installed from Bridgestone Dueler are not certified for winter conditions, in fact in ice they are very poor. However as a spring, summer, fall tire I think they are fine. They do have a long life, not sure how they are in the sand?