New Owner... A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Outcast Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner... A few questions

Originally Posted by ozarkgolfer
Also...I test drove a 6.2 Denali with 9mpg city/14mpg highway and loved the engine response and the sound. I was a little disbelieving that the 6.0/hybrid could put out horsepower and economy but having owned and driven one for 1000 miles, I am a believer.
FWIW, in the 2 years and 33K miles that my wife has owned her 2007 Denali XL with the 6.2L/AWD. She observes around 14 MPG in mixed 50/50 driving and around 17 MPG on the highway. So far the best & worst tank was 19 and 13 MPG respectively. Those are measured MPG since her trip computer is close but does not accurately reflect measured MPG. Respectable, but nothing compared to the Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Chevy Man

Well, my truck was diagnosed as needing an engine back on 1/6/09 if you all remember. I finally got it back today with the new engine and so far it seems great. No more shake and everything seems to be working properly.

I was given a Buick Enclave from Enterprise to drive while the repairs were made which was a really nice vehicle, but I really missed the Tahoe. It took about a week to get the engine and then about 10 days to replace it due to miscellaneous parts that were needed during the repair. Interestingly enough I got an engine that is used in the 2009 model. I guess there are some differences, hopefully they have resolved the worn cam issue. The only reason I know this is that the tech ordered a part for the engine twice and both times it did not fit. They called GM and were told that this was an '09 model engine and when ordering parts for this engine in the future they need to order from the parts system as a '09 Hybrid, not by using my VIN which will show that I have the '08 motor. Guess I have to let the dealer know that if I ever go elsewhere for repairs that are engine related.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
I picked it up from http://www.coastaletech.com/ it was the GMX-322

There is a video of the install. Very easy, all Plug & Play. Except for the wire for the Camera. You just need to tap into it from the passenger seat.
I installed this lockpic too and I am really pleased with how it works. It was a little nerve racking prying the faceplate off -- I thought at times it would break - but all went well. Butter knife and screwdriver worked. Real cool features. It wasn't very hard to tap into the rear cam module under the passenger's seat either. The only difficult part was ordering to Canada - they don't ship to Canada but they provide options.

Originally Posted by nicka
When I start my truck in the morning and it is cold as well as sitting at idle at a light prior to it being warm enough to go into auto stop mode it feels like the engine is misfiring as the truck shakes in that manner. Does anyone else experience this on their vehicle? My dealer couldn't find anything wrong and claimed it was normal, but I can't imagine the engine stumbling hard enough to shake the truck as normal. It goes away when warm and the check engine light is NOT coming on.

BTW, this forum seems great and I read through all the threads and it was very informative.
This happens to me - just before it goes into auto stop after being warmed up from being cold it gives me quick shakes. Not like misfiring but more like when an atv is set to idle to low, before it quits out. And in the morning, after being very cold (Canada) it shakes a bit. The thing is, it only has just over 5,000 miles. Is this normal? I will have the dealer check it out when I get the first oil change soon. Does this happen to anyone else?

Glad to hear all went well Nicka and that you got a 2009 engine. I'd hate to have give mine up though but if I get a 2009 that eases the blow.

Last edited by Canuck; 01-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Teufel Hunden

I bought Husky liners and got all three for $240.00. They fit PERFECT and look awesome...not to mention they have already saved my carpet from a diet coke that my son spilled!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Chevy Man

Canuck,

That is not normal, but if no Check Engine light is on I think you are safe to wait until you go in for service. Just be sure that when you go in for service you have them write up a complaint on the Repair Order so it is documented. Also, you might want to casually ask them if they will check your #1 plug while they are investigationg your complaint.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

I felt the "shake" for the first time today.

My Tahoe has almost 5k miles on it.

I started it up and about 5 minutes later when I got to a light, I could feel it shaking backwards and forwards. It was not bad but I could feel it for sure.

It went away when I tried to feel it about 20 minutes later.

I am also still feeling that "jolt" right before I stop. It happens maybe twice a week now. One time I almost got into an accident because my Tahoe jolted forward, out of my control.

I am going to the dealership when I can to have them check it out.

I printed off the bulletin. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Chevy Man

Now that I have my new engine it is smooth as can be. However, I feel a slight studder right before the engine goes into AutoStop which I am guessing is normal. The shake when cold from the misfire is gone though

With regards to that Jolt you guys are feeling. My '08 has never done that, but before I bought mine I test drove a brand new '09 Yukon Hybrid and on my test drive it did that jolt about 5 or 6 times when I came to a stop at a traffic light. I never thought much of it until you all started discussing it here. I don't think that should be happening. Not only is it annoying, but it is not very safe if you are not ready for it.

Let us know what your dealer says about the Jolt. I spoke to a friend at GM yesterday and he had not heard of any other engines replaced yet in his territory. Hopefully your shake when cold is not the same thing, but I am not too hopeful. No matter what this is why we love our 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty .

Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

I'm interested in hearing others experience to the "Jolt" as I think I have experienced this as well. It happens only when I am braking and approachin a stop at a low speed. I feel out of control when it happens and end up slamming on the brakes.

Pete

Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pete7919
I'm interested in hearing others experience to the "Jolt" as I think I have experienced this as well. It happens only when I am braking and approachin a stop at a low speed. I feel out of control when it happens and end up slamming on the brakes.

Pete
Yes, that is exactly what happens. When I have free time, I am going to have it checked out.

You are right, you lose control and it could case a wreck....not good.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicka
Unfortunately it was pretty straight forward and it had the exact symptoms that matched a preliminary information bulletin from GM. After diagnosing the vehicle and speaking with GM the dealer diagnosed the vehicle as needing a new engine . Apparently GM is aware that some of the trucks out there have had this issue. Kind of sucks mine is one of them. See the Preliminary Information bulletin below that I copied and pasted. I have underlined the specifics that matched my complaints and diagnosis. He showed me the spark plug and it was coved in oil:

Subject: SES Light, Blue Exhaust Smoke, Misfire, Oil Consumption and/or Fouled #1 Spark Plug - Replace Engine

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
2008-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
with 6.0L Engine (RPO LFA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of an engine misfire, oil consumption, blue exhaust smoke, and/or an SES light. Upon inspection, oil deposits will be found on the #1 spark plug causing cylinder 1 to misfire and set DTCs P0300 and/or P0301. Typically, this will not occur until the vehicle has accumulated at least 8,000 miles. This may be the result of excess oil splashing onto the #1 cylinder wall due to a worn #1 cam bearing. This excess oil may eventually get into the combustion chamber and foul the #1 spark plug causing the engine misfire and SES light.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, inspect the #1 spark plug for excessive oil deposits. If excessive deposits are present, replace the engine assembly. Before ordering a replacement engine, gather the engine unit numbers, generate an engine replacement estimate, and contact the PQC 1-866-654-7654 for pre-authorization as outlined in 02-07-30-029L.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Can you please let us know the bulleting number for this one?

Example - #PIT4580A

Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Owner... A few questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands