New (for me) 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default New (for me) 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Help

Hello all. Been lurking around the forum for a bit now but finally decided to take the plunge in and ask a few questions. I bought a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid a few months ago and love it, but had a few issues that you could help me resolve. I've looked through numerous threads but just wanted to verify some things before i acted.

1) Headlights: I am not a fan of the stock lights. With winter quickly approaching in MA and a new baby daughter I want to have some HID lights installed. When i spoke to the dealer they told me that there are no available options but people's experiences and trucks here suggest otherwise. What current Hid kit does everyone recommend and from whom do you recommend purchasing it from? Would my dealer install them if i brought it in? And would the installation void the warranty?

2) Tires: perfectly fine in dry conditions, but I've noticed some tread wear and plan on getting a set of the Triple Treads people suggested here. Again, would there be any problems with the dealer installing them as opposed to the stock tires?

3) Minor issues: slight window rattle from the back left window that drives me crazy at low speeds. Excessive condensation from the muffler vs a leak? Hybrid motor at low speeds with a new off pitched whine. I have a scheduled service coming up and will try to take care of all these issues.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to see if i could answer a few questions before i brought the truck in and looked like an even bigger idiot. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re:

welcome aboard!

1) Headlights:I just returned from a 3000 mile road trip over the sierra nevada in NASTY weather and lots of night driving. I have to admit I have had better lighting. I'll be interested in the feedback here as well!

2) Tires: the tripletreads are great and there are no issues using them except that they are directional and must be mounted with the correct direction of rotation. At donner last week they were turning people back at chain control and making them chain up. I got to the inspection point and the guy looked at my tires and said go ahead man those tires are fine!

3) Minor issues:the only comment I can make is the whine is probably normal. for the first week or so I was looking around to find the "cop car" i thought I could hear it but never saw it!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New (for me) 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Help

Take a look at www.ddmtuning.com. Doubt the dealer would install them. But they are plug & play.

Bulbs are H13

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

D Tahoe,
regarding point 3, I do have that rattle noise from rear left window as well,and it bugs me at low pump speeds.
I am intereste dto know if there is a way to get rid of it
Thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Guss
D Tahoe,
regarding point 3, I do have that rattle noise from rear left window as well,and it bugs me at low pump speeds.
I am intereste dto know if there is a way to get rid of it
Thanks
jack in storage area?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 AM

yes, but he noise comes out from the plastic part around the corner of the rear left passenger window.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.
I'm working on ordering the tires.
As for the headlights, has anyone tried the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras? Is the light size an H11 or an H13 as suggested?
I spoke with my dealer and they would have no problem installing an HID kit but if there were any problems caused by the kit, the warranty would be void for whatever that problem was. I'm not sure that's a risk that I would be willing to take. I've read good and bad things about the Silverstars but wanted people's opinions.
As for those other minor issues; I'm sure a quick trip to the dealer will help get to the bottom of it. I'll keep everyone updated as to the noise from the window.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guss
yes, but he noise comes out from the plastic part around the corner of the rear left passenger window.
Yep, have the same sound. I just turn up my music.

Originally Posted by DTahoe
Thanks for the replies.
I'm working on ordering the tires.
As for the headlights, has anyone tried the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras? Is the light size an H11 or an H13 as suggested?
I spoke with my dealer and they would have no problem installing an HID kit but if there were any problems caused by the kit, the warranty would be void for whatever that problem was. I'm not sure that's a risk that I would be willing to take. I've read good and bad things about the Silverstars but wanted people's opinions.
As for those other minor issues; I'm sure a quick trip to the dealer will help get to the bottom of it. I'll keep everyone updated as to the noise from the window.
Tried them too. A bit whiter, better than stock. But you can almost buy a set of HID's for the cost of the Ultra's.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 PM

Ed LOL good idea, unless the baby is sleeping in the back

Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

I personally run Silverstars in my cars. They are a tad brighter since they use a different filliment style. They also only last about a year in my VW's. Havn't had to change a bulb in the Tahoe yet though.

DO NOT use an HID drop in kit with reflector housings. Reflector housings are designed to use a specific bulb. The bulbs have a specific filiment location that the housings are angled to pick up light from. By using a drop in HID kit, it will diffuse the light over a wider area, instead of focusing it properly. This is bad enough in some cars to actually reduce light output. It also causes the light to blind other cars worse. Think fog lights, not super bright since they spread out the light, and annoying to oncoming traffic.

I suggest just changing bulbs, and making sure your headlights are adjusted properly, I don't find myself wanting for more headlight from this car, and my two previous cars had really good lights.

Quick Reply: New (for me) 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Help

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands