HELP! No crank after engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default HELP! No crank after engine swap.

bought a engine from a junkyard. Installed it but now the truck will not crank. The service hybrid along with every other possible service system schools thru the Drivers Info. When I turn the key I can hear the click of Solenoid coming from the fuse panel but that's it. The security Light is illuminated and doesn't shut off after 12min.

any idea? I am assuming the computer needs to be reset? i only have a cheap Torque pro scan tool

Old 09-26-2022, 08:15 PM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HELP! No crank after engine swap.

I'm guessing you pulled the orange hybrid Battery plug before working in it. it's pretty common to miss a step putting it back in. there's some YouTube videos on it. but you gotta plug it in, the lever goes up and then push down for it to be fully seated.

beyond that. have you left any covers off? like the one over they under hood hybrid control box there's a switch in plastic cover that knows its off. any grounds missed on the back of the heads? I had mine off fixing the common ls header bot popping the head off lol and it freaked out and thru all kinds of codes over one ground wire back there.

worse case for not having a scanner would be if it trigger the accident code. that one takes a pretty high level scanner to reset.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

yes the hybrid cover is off ill look when I get home. there's a 2prong blue pigtail I have no idea where it goes. I did pull the service disconnect under the rear Seat but installed it before attempting to start

Old 09-26-2022, 09:00 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustinlint
yes the hybrid cover is off ill look when I get home. there's a 2prong blue pigtail I have no idea where it goes. I did pull the service disconnect under the rear Seat but installed it before attempting to start

there's a jumper built into the that cover. hopefully that's all it is.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
I didnt even remember taking that out. so plugging in that sensor doesn't let the truck start. but the security light is no longer on.. same no crank tho. I can hear the click from a relay under the hood but that's all.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:35 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

I didnt even remember taking that out. so plugging in that sensor doesn't let the truck start. but the security light is no longer on.. same no crank tho. I can hear the click from a relay under the hood but that's all.

hmm torque will clear codes, maybe clear them and see what comes back.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:53 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

once you've done that, if you get some fresh codes, go to this post and download the attachment. look up the code and it will give you all the parameters met to set that code. it might give you some ideas, or it might cause you to chase your tail. codes are always a hassle.

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...14/#post275848

these things really should have came with a tech 2 in the glove box for free haha. so many little things can cause a no start. seems they were super scared about the 300v system. lots of checks at key on and any little thing can keep it from starting.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???

okay that was part of the issue. the vehicle will start now. except its running pretty rough. i have 3 codes showing up

u1876
u1879
u1886

showing a network issue of some sort.

I got a bidirectional scantool but i have no idea how to use it.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:21 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

okay that was part of the issue. the vehicle will start now. except its running pretty rough. i have 3 codes showing up

u1876
u1879
u1886

showing a network issue of some sort.

I got a bidirectional scantool but i have no idea how to use it.

there's another jumper in what they are calling a transmission power inverter module cable cover. I'm guessing it's down in the tranny where some high voltage wires hook in?

I'm not sure these codes are related to the running rough, but they definitely need to be found. you've probably already looked them up, but yeah it's a communication between motor A module , motor B module and the battery control module inside the hybrid battery. my guess is either something is unplugged or a wire got pinched between something?

I've read there's a plug in the tranny somewhere that all that goes thru, and those pins can be bent easily. I've not seen the plug myself so I'm not sure if it something you can get to with it in the truck, or if you had to unplug it while doing the swap.

usually codes will give a hint if it's a high or low as in a short or open circuit, of course these don't.

looks like the fuses involved are 8,9 and 10. all 15 amp may check those. probably more involved too but that's all I see from a quick look. that's the small fuse box next to the battery with the 200amp fuse in it. this thing has like 5 boxes or something crazy.

the bi directional scan tool while super useful most of the time, I'm not really sure what it can do here to help. I believe under special tests you can run some tests on things controlled by those modules but since it's throwing a code saying it can't communicate those tests probably just won't run.

but yeah, cover on some orange wires on the tranny, some harness plug missed, pitched, a pin in the main tranny harness bent or a fuse to those modules not sending voltage is all I can think of.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
there's another jumper in what they are calling a transmission power inverter module cable cover. I'm guessing it's down in the tranny where some high voltage wires hook in?

I'm not sure these codes are related to the running rough, but they definitely need to be found. you've probably already looked them up, but yeah it's a communication between motor A module , motor B module and the battery control module inside the hybrid battery. my guess is either something is unplugged or a wire got pinched between something?

I've read there's a plug in the tranny somewhere that all that goes thru, and those pins can be bent easily. I've not seen the plug myself so I'm not sure if it something you can get to with it in the truck, or if you had to unplug it while doing the swap.

usually codes will give a hint if it's a high or low as in a short or open circuit, of course these don't.

looks like the fuses involved are 8,9 and 10. all 15 amp may check those. probably more involved too but that's all I see from a quick look. that's the small fuse box next to the battery with the 200amp fuse in it. this thing has like 5 boxes or something crazy.

the bi directional scan tool while super useful most of the time, I'm not really sure what it can do here to help. I believe under special tests you can run some tests on things controlled by those modules but since it's throwing a code saying it can't communicate those tests probably just won't run.

but yeah, cover on some orange wires on the tranny, some harness plug missed, pitched, a pin in the main tranny harness bent or a fuse to those modules not sending voltage is all I can think of.
Awesome you've been extremely helpful. I got s harness with the replacement motor. so i was able to sort look for where all the plugs go n such. I'll check when I get home

Quick Reply: HELP! No crank after engine swap.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands