Help needed on possible hybrid purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help needed on possible hybrid purchase

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade. I love the car, but I can not stand the city gas mileage (around 10 mpg). My wife primarily drives the escalade and she is at home with my two children, so she does not go too far (around 8 or 9 thousand miles a year, 75% city driving).

Just wondering if the Tahoe Hybrid would be worth it for us. I feel that my car is worth about $38000 (32,000 miles on it). So after visiting a few local dealerships, I feel that I could probably buy a new 2009 4X4 for about $45,000.

Is $7,000 +/- a good investment? Will I be losing that much comfort in going from a Cadillac to a Chevy? I do not care about most luxury features, but I do like a comfortable seat as I am almost 6'-5".

I am drawn to the tahoe hybrid as I am a big American car believer and hate being so dependent on foreign oil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I love my 08 yukon hybrid.

....but....don't expect miracles. you ABSOLUTELY have to re-learn how to drive it to extract its benefits. You can have a heavy foot to an extent but you have to drive smart. I get 21-23 mpg IN TOWN regularly...but I also try to keep it in V4 or on batt only when traffic is heavy.
I think the complainers are TRYING to find something wrong and refuse to RTFM and learn the car. It is VERY different than a normal gasser. good luck with your decision

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help needed on possible hybrid purchase

I started driving a bit more normal and mileage has decreased to round 17 mpg.

But I was getting 20 mpg when I was trying.

Is it worth the $$$? Don't expect to get your money back. I bought mine because I wanted to use less fuel.
But the tax credit did help

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Enthusiast

Don't forget that you should also receive a $2200 tax incentive for buying that hybrid.

The inside should be the same dimensions. The leather that you're used to? Well, that will definitely be a downgrade. I'm not sure how the Escalade rides, but I keep hearing that my Tahoe "rides like a Cadillac".

Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default oh ...and....

I reduced my carbon footprint by 2/3 I really think that is worth the entrance fee. If we all did that think of how much better it would be for everyone. I think about it every time im in stop and go traffic or at stop lights and my car is not running but everyone else around me is sitting there at idle....even at 25-30 I am on electric only while they burn dinosaurs!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, guys.

Why do you guys think that they are not selling well? I see the same ones at the dealerships near me, and one of the biggest Chevy dealers in New Hampshire does not even stock any after having such a tough time selliing the 2008 models.

I know that they are expensive, but they are not that much more than the regular tahoe.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I really don't understand why they aren't selling. I have a lot of people interested in mine, but they act like they have never heard of it. I've seen quite a few print ads for it, but maybe people aren't reading as much anymore.

It could be that MPG is just not something the people can grasp, because it is non-linear. If they advertised in gallons/100 miles, then people would understand how much more fuel it saves than a Prius or Insight. It could just be that people don't think a 21MPG hybrid is that great, but they don't understand it is vastly better than 14MPG or less from the alternative.

Why go from a Caddy to a Chevy? Just trade-in for the Escalade Hybrid. Keep the soft leather...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM
FLY NAVY!

"Why do you guys think that they are not selling well?"

IMHO its the dealers fault. They don't understand the technology and don't know how to sell it. Each dealer SHOULD have a "hybrid expert" who can show and explain every aspect of the car. I knew a LOT more about the Yukon than the dealer did, but then i'm into research before i buy especially at 57K.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with jet1's sentiments. The dealers should know much more about this technology. Most people don't understand that this technology was developed by GM, Chrysler and BMW and tested extensively in commercial applications (buses) before coming to the consumer marketplace. These facts alone assisted me greatly in deciding to purchase the Tahoe.

IMHO, another reason is that the BIG SUV is falling out of favor by the typical consumer and public opinion. (even though the Tahoe/Yukon hybrids get better mpg than many smaller gas powered crossovers and suvs)

Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
FLY NAVY!

"IMHO, another reason is that the BIG SUV is falling out of favor by the typical consumer and public opinion. (even though the Tahoe/Yukon hybrids get better mpg than many smaller gas powered crossovers and suvs)"

the consumers lack common sense. They think it has to be small to be good (prius) when in fact the opposite is true. Any hybrid needs a combination of things, but mostly it needs a gas engine, electric motors, and batteries. You can't put 20 lbs of S#$% in a 5 lb bag so people compromise...less battery less comfort less room for things. in reality GM could put even more batteries for longer electric only operations if they removed the big dumb resonator and stuffed some more batteries back there. The resonator was one of the first things to go on my Yukon and I don't miss it a bit!

Quick Reply: Help needed on possible hybrid purchase

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands