Engine Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Engine Block Heater

Has anyone used a block heater to assist with winter starts, would help get the engine to an operating temp in sub zero weather. I have used these in the past on my other vehicles and am looking at doing the same on my Hybrid. Any input out there?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Block Heater

How cold are we talking about? -20C, -30, -40? Parked how long sub zero? The internal combustion engine will go from stone cold to 50C ( 122 F) in a few minutes after start. That will get you cabin heat going. Now the hybrid transmission being so large takes quite a while to warm up. The trans takes a very long time to coll off as well.
If you check the DIC for trans temp when you park to turn off at night, then check it again immediately after the next morning start, you will find it still almost 10C warmer than the morning air temp. Parked for 2 days the trans, engine, and HV battery will eventually get down to outside air temp. The engine the fastest.

The HV battery being inside the cab takes even longer to cool but in 2 days parked it will get down there.

Now if you are looking for electric boogie sooner, you need to take engine, transmission oil, and HV battery temperatures all into account. From all 3 stone cold to the first Auto-Stop of the day could take up to 40 minutes of driving depending on temperatures and how long it was parked out in the cold.

So unless you are going to park in at Prudhoe Bay and leave it a few days, you probably don't need anything. If you are in the Arctic Watershed, then you could consider warmers for the 3 components.

If you want t ouse a 75 to 150 watt block heater, that is your choice. It won't make much of a difference like a 12V starter cranked engine heater does.

Good luck

Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Block Heater

Hill billy (slow clap)