Driving technique i cant get over 18.5. wont stay in V4

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving technique i cant get over 18.5. wont stay in V4

So i switched to 2wd and didnt use the cruise for 2 trips to and from work. reset the average mileage and its now 20.6 after the 2 trips. It was over 21 but I used remote start this morning and it went down. I cant wait for it to get warm and I wont have to use it. Thanks for the info guys. Now i just have to work on the engine mods that I have seen on here and the mileage should go up a ton!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Another tip: After the air has run a bit, switch to recirc. Less load on the 300V AC compressor, and less parasitic Kw drain on the battery pack. In cold or humid conditions, though, recirc isn't always available.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have found even with all the modifications I have completed that 50-60MPH is the most fuel efficent speed range. I have also found that a light foot with steady responce is the best way to stay in V4 mode. However I do not know what determines how long the engine can stay in V4 mode, I wonder what are the limitations and conditions?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

we have had a 2009 tahoe hybrid for 4 months. In that time we can't get more than 16 MPG. My wife usually drives the car and doesn't really pay attention to the instant MPG. I do when I drive it as I am challenging myself to get the 21 MPG everybody else is. I have never seen more than 17. I have walked up to random people with the same car and they all tell me they are getting the 21 MPG or better. Is anybody on this forum even seeing close to that in city driving? by the way, the car almost immediately goes to gas engine mode once you start moving. I had heard that you could be in full electric up to 30 MPH. We had the car serviced for the oil change just last week and the technician drove it with the GM computer attached and said everything is working fine. ????

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi Andy
I am also unable to get better thanks 17.5 mpg in city driving with my 2010 tahoe. Have had it for three months so far.
I was able to get it up to 23 mpg on long highway trips, but once I am back In The city, drops back down to the 17-18 range.
I live in a hilly city, and the weather hasn't warmed up still. Temp range 10-15 c with occassion in 20s which should help in going I to auto stop faster. But the down side once you start using the Ac, the battery drains faster and needs charging more frequent.
Keep in mind I drive it very carefully trying to stay in autostop or v4 as much as I can.

Where do you live, and what kind of streets do you have, also what is the avg temperature and driving conditions?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Well I am almost at 21 now after a few changes and putting on the 20" rims. This is what i did.
1. changed from auto to 2wd.
2. stopped using cruise
3. slower take off from stop signs to stay in auto off
4. slowly let off gas to switch to v4 instead of v8
5. unhooked neg on battery to reset shift points. left it unhooked overnight. (probably gonna take some crap from others that say that doesent work) I think it helped.

i wouldnt have done half that without the help of others on this board. i have to thank them.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM

I find it pretty easy to get over 20mpg city, but my wife doesn't get 19. Paying attention to the meter is very important, along with the V8/V4 mode in the instant MPG display.
You can get to 30MPH in autostop, it requires acceleration on a flat surface like you are a grandmother going to the grocery on Sunday.
On a slight downhill, much easier, also, deaccel under 30 should drop you to autostop.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Guss,
I live in a moderately hilly area outside of DC. I would figure that the cold winter has affected the battery efficiency somewhat, but it has warmed up here recently. I am most concerned that the car goes into gas mode almost immediately after putting your foot on the accelarator. you have to literally crawl to get the auto stop mode to stay on.

quote=Guss;220989]Hi Andy
I am also unable to get better thanks 17.5 mpg in city driving with my 2010 tahoe. Have had it for three months so far.
I was able to get it up to 23 mpg on long highway trips, but once I am back In The city, drops back down to the 17-18 range.
I live in a hilly city, and the weather hasn't warmed up still. Temp range 10-15 c with occassion in 20s which should help in going I to auto stop faster. But the down side once you start using the Ac, the battery drains faster and needs charging more frequent.
Keep in mind I drive it very carefully trying to stay in autostop or v4 as much as I can.

Where do you live, and what kind of streets do you have, also what is the avg temperature and driving conditions?[/quote]

Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks Andy,
As FJ said, I can easily drive it on autostop up to 30 MPH to the tic, on flat or downhill, somtimes, I mange to drive it uphill with very light foot on auto stop, but battery has to be full with warm weather, but it doesn't last for long, but I still try to do it
The gas pedal is very sensitive, and one need to get used to it.
you can also run on Battery power above 30 MPH, when inst Econo, shows 0/99 MPG v4/v8 fuel is shut off but engine is Idle, and you are charging the battery using the wheels or reg braking and running on EV mode the same time.
when wife drives it, the MPG drops for sure

with all those techiniques, I am still unable to get my city driving above 17.5MPG
I hope things get better when weather warms up

Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kklein
I have found even with all the modifications I have completed that 50-60MPH is the most fuel efficent speed range. I have also found that a light foot with steady responce is the best way to stay in V4 mode. However I do not know what determines how long the engine can stay in V4 mode, I wonder what are the limitations and conditions?
Ken,

It basically comes down to torque demand. V4 can only deliver so much torque, so when the ECM calculates you're going to need more than that, it goes to V8 mode. Plus you've probably noticed on cold mornings the engine has to get to normal operating temp before V4 mode is enabled. There's no practical time limit in V4 I'm aware of.

Quick Reply: Driving technique i cant get over 18.5. wont stay in V4

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands