THE cng post from now on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: THE cng post from now on...

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Bad thing. NO moutians.
That sucks ... I've got more moutians than I know what to do with over here.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
If you do water injection the best location is most likely behind the throttle body. You don't want to create any ice on throttle blades or throttle shafts.

As for Mr. dealer. I would ask the dealer about the GM Bi-Fuel pick up trucks you can order. I have some friends over in small block engineering. When I get home from the ski trip I will ask if the heads/valves on the CNG/Gasoline engines have anything special or different from the straight gasoline builds.

I will also ask around of some other local Detroit gear heads to see if anything special was done regarding the valves to any of the CNG small blocks they make.

The great thing about my home neighborhood is, every other neighbor works for one of the OEMs or for a supplier. Bad thing. NO moutians.
THANKS! I appreciate the time and interest you have shown on this little adventure of mine, ANY info and input is great!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LakeSilverado
Yes - it sounds very promising.

The little research that I've done indicates there is a bill in committee that might pay a significant portion of the conversion costs (50%?). I'm going to try to find more about that and follow it to see where it goes.

There are about a dozen places in California that I've come across that say they do CNG conversions - but most seem to be geared towards large or fleet vehicles. No site has any real pricing information or suggestion that they have experience with consumer vehicles.

I'd be tempted to go to Jet1's place - they have a location in Utah - but would be more comfortable with someone who has worked on California cars before and is able to provide what ever documentation CARB may need.

With prices here likely to hit $5 this summer, the economics are quickly moving in favor of this. At a usage rate of 600 gallons/yr and a savings of 75% on fuel price - that makes a savings of 450 * $5 or $2250 if those prices hold - so a 2-3 year payback. If the proposed bill becomes law - that could make it a year payback - which is definitely the turning point on the decision.
Was wondering if you had any updates on the that bill you were following and if you have any promising leads for conversion companies in California?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by kimco
Was wondering if you had any updates on the that bill you were following and if you have any promising leads for conversion companies in California?
no info about the fed or what they are doing but in the state of utah, they are offing up to 2500.00 towards the conversion cost which is great for me. I am sure that there will be something in the future but the gubmint grinds slowly and the politicians are bought off by the highest bidder, big oil etc. which doesn't have the infrastructure in place yet to capitalize on the future fuel.
As far as the company goes they are going through the calif. certification process but they haven't paid off the right politicians ... yet!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jet1
no info about the fed or what they are doing but in the state of utah, they are offing up to 2500.00 towards the conversion cost which is great for me. I am sure that there will be something in the future but the gubmint grinds slowly and the politicians are bought off by the highest bidder, big oil etc. which doesn't have the infrastructure in place yet to capitalize on the future fuel.
As far as the company goes they are going through the calif. certification process but they haven't paid off the right politicians ... yet!
Jet,
What is the average total cost for conversion in Utah?

Reading through your posts, it seemed like there was quite a bit of trial and error. Is the process pretty complete now?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
FLY NAVY!

Jet,
What is the average total cost for conversion in Utah?

Reading through your posts, it seemed like there was quite a bit of trial and error. Is the process pretty complete now?
it was 6500.00 for the system and the 3 tanks. It works flawlessly except for 2 problems
on the 2008 hybrids they put a RETURN fuel pressure sensor so it throws a CEL because the fuel pump for normal dino gas is off. this is not a problem for 2009 and later because they took this feature off as it was redundant,
it will throw a CEL for the post cat sensors saying they are below the threshold, which makes sense as the fuel its burning is 90% cleaner than dino gas.

I have an obd cable and software on my ipod to reset them as needed and inspections are a non issue all you need to do is turn the CNG system off, then drive for 50 or so miles on just gas which will restore the "normal" obd settings so they can be read.

no real issues with the install trial and error was because of the hybrid element, regular cars are no issue, and now that they have worked through that it should be a seamless install for the future hybrid owners.
its a minor problem but my goal was to reduce emissions so I don't have any problems. I am doing my part to keep the air quality as good as possible and trying to be a responsible vehicle owner.

Last edited by jet1; 04-06-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I read a few weeks ago that the Senate killed a natural gas bill. Still trying to track down if this was the same bill that would offer tax breaks for converting private vehicles.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by LakeSilverado
I read a few weeks ago that the Senate killed a natural gas bill. Still trying to track down if this was the same bill that would offer tax breaks for converting private vehicles.
why am I NOT surprised? to bad for the planet but then hey they are a bunch of old guys and will be dead before we run out of oil..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: THE cng post from now on...4/22/12

still working as previously described...still have the "low fuel pressure" PITA otherwise all is well. am planning a trip to CA at the end of the month so I will see how it does on a road trip...finally!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: THE cng post from now on...5/1/12

Trip totally uneventful...so far! Filled up in SLC and made it to elko on cng then finished the trip on dino gaz and arrived in redding ca with approx. 1/2 tank of dino remaining. It did not throw any cels on the way over! now if they would just get the infrastructure for refilling in place. there was a station in reno that was taken out......! I have to go out of my way to chico as the nearest fuel source or south lake tahoe (which is on the return trip) Ca has such stringent standards but will not put the infrastructure in place to support alternative fuels....
more to come!

Quick Reply: THE cng post from now on...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands