Better MPG ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Better MPG ideas?

Better MPG?
I'm new to the group, so forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death. My 2009 Tahoe is getting around 21mpg and think it would do better if it stayed in electric mode longer. I realize that, as the battery gets older, the gas engine will kick in sooner. Right now, it will stay in electric mode for about a mile, not the 2 miles stated in manual. Also, the 2 mode doesn't run as often as it should either. I read that changing out the aluminum cables and cleaning the terms will help. Has anyone looked into changing out the batteries for a stronger more advanced setup? I guess, doing this would require some programing? I do a lot of local driving and would like to see the electric stay on longer. It would be really cool to make this into a 30mpg ride. Ha!

Old 11-17-2021, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Better MPG ideas?

Bullet points:
  1. "2 miles" is when brand new and under ideal conditions and ONLY after the battery has been regeneratively charged to "full" at the bottom of a long hill. You should be ecstatic that your 12 year old Tahoe can still do a mile in EV mode. Go buy a lottery ticket. Now.
  2. The usable energy stored in the hybrid battery is LESS than the TOTAL energy stored in the 12V under the hood.
  3. ANY energy used for propulsion ULTIMATELY comes from gas. Longer EV runs would necessitate more charging from the ICE thus reducing ICE efficiency.
  4. Routine 30mpg is a complete and total impossibility.

Concerning #2:
12V battery: 80Ah * 12V = 960Wh.
288V battery: 6.5Ah * 288V * 40% = 749Wh

The vehicle will rarely use the full 40% and typically only uses 15-20%. You'd only use 40% in the aforementioned "bottom of the hill" scenario.

This system is HIGHLY optimized. Most efforts that don't focus simply on more conservative driving simply result in no change or reduced mpg.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Bullet points:
  1. "2 miles" is when brand new and under ideal conditions and ONLY after the battery has been regeneratively charged to "full" at the bottom of a long hill. You should be ecstatic that your 12 year old Tahoe can still do a mile in EV mode. Go buy a lottery ticket. Now.
  2. The usable energy stored in the hybrid battery is LESS than the TOTAL energy stored in the 12V under the hood.
  3. ANY energy used for propulsion ULTIMATELY comes from gas. Longer EV runs would necessitate more charging from the ICE thus reducing ICE efficiency.
  4. Routine 30mpg is a complete and total impossibility.

Concerning #2:
12V battery: 80Ah * 12V = 960Wh.
288V battery: 6.5Ah * 288V * 40% = 749Wh

The vehicle will rarely use the full 40% and typically only uses 15-20%. You'd only use 40% in the aforementioned "bottom of the hill" scenario.

This system is HIGHLY optimized. Most efforts that don't focus simply on more conservative driving simply result in no change or reduced mpg.
All good points. I figured the battery will need to be replaced soon, so why not go with newer tech.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

1 mile is pretty good can barely go 200-300 feet (little more on a decel)
i suggest 91-93 octane

most get 18/18 on 87 oct

23-24 on the highway with 91-93oct I suggest Not running v4 and getting a disable chip most likely the mpg will be the same....(to extend the life of the engine)

the best I was able to do is 32mpg carefully planned route it adds an extra hour if i take this route I was able to keep it in EV mode for 8 miles( down hill stretch )

I don't care what people have to say about knock sensors 91-93 should be used on these rigs

by the time the sensor sees it
it's too late since it's after the fact

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 11-20-2021 at 10:02 AM.