30.1 MPG 2009 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 30.1 MPG 2009 Tahoe Hybrid

I recently completed a 650 mile trip in Canada with very little traffic. I tried to keep the ECO meter dead center even while braking ( I have noticed that under heavy braking the ECO meter deflects fully to the left, which I believe would result in a smaller battery charge from the regenerative braking system). I was able to complete the trip at 30.1MPG which I verified when I filled the tank.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 30.1 MPG 2009 Tahoe Hybrid

Wow! That is impressive. Glad I wasn't behind you in traffic...

Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast

Was that 2wd or 4wd? Any opinions on the two?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 AM

Hi JCPerformance,
I have a 4 wheel drive Tahoe Hybrid. The trip was made in the two wheel drive mode. I believe under ideal driving conditions it maybe possible to get into the high 30's.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Average speed? Terrain?

That's amazing! I've been contemplating trading in my 8.1L 3/4 ton Avalanche on one of these.. I will need to drag a 7k trailer periodically and I know that the 6.0L is up to that task...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Hi Randy,
Average speed was approx. 50 MPH, with hilly terran. 6,000 lbs horse trailer no problem.
Kind Regards Ken
I am going to try for 38MPG next trip

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kklein
Hi JCPerformance,
I have a 4 wheel drive Tahoe Hybrid. The trip was made in the two wheel drive mode. I believe under ideal driving conditions it maybe possible to get into the high 30's.
Ok, so you can select 2wd mode or 4wd mode on a 4x4 hybrid tahoe?

I'm debating whether to get a 2wd or 4wd hybrid tahoe...

I live in Michigan...

Any opinions on purchasing a 2wd vs. 4wd tahoe hybrid?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi JCPerformance,
Here are my thoughts on 2WD vs. 4WD. With the winters we have I needed the 4WD option. Also the resale value is better, because most people looking at one of these used is also looking for the 4WD option. When the 4WD version is in 2WD it has the same gas milage. The 4WD version will also operate in EV mode while in 4WD.
Kind Regards Ken

Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

30.1???? You sure that's not km/gal Did you have the A/C running the whole time? I see you're in Canada so I assume you may not always run the AC. The compressor is driven by an electric motor so it should affect EV run time. I'd try going a full tank without running the AC as an experiment but it's still too hot out to attempt that.

Regarding driving in the snow, one thing to be aware of is the front of the truck is very low. There's a special front air dam which GM "designed" to minimize drag and if you read elsewhere on this board some folks have had issues with the air dam ending up turning into a snow plow. One guy even went as far as buying a separate front end for winter driving (he cut the bottom off the stock air dam). I do snowboarding trips to the west coast and Canada and can definitely see the low front end causing problems if there's any accumulation of snow on the road. I live in Hawaii so we don't have such issues here but I can say that the front will scape the ground on moderately steep driveways, tall wheel stops/curbs, etc. I think my wife's Lexus GS has more front end clearance than my Tahoe

Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Hi CPMS,
Yes it was 30.1 MPG, using the US gallon, not the Canadian which is a larger imperial gallon. Confirmed by filling the tank and using the DIC which is about 2% off, not bad for GM. I still think I can do better. Yes the front "GM Special Air Dam" maybe a problem for me in the winter. Maybe I will stainless steel the lower portion of the dam and become a snow plow. O yes on the last trip I used the AC about 50% of the time, I was aware of it being battery powered. I need to understand the ECO meter a little better I have noted that when you lay on the brakes it defects hard to the left. I believe that if you can keep the ECO meter in the center while braking that the battery is getting a better charge through the regenerative braking system. When you take you foot off the gas pedal you can feel the real decrease in speed. I love the truck and I think I will buy my wife one for Christmas she will get the 2010. This way we can both handle the kids and the Newfoundland Dog. Hawaii is a great place I am jealous. I have been in Aviation all my life and this truck really interests me, it's still new but i may take it in my shop and see how it ticks. Thanks for the information I would still like to hit 38MPG and pass a Prius.
Kind Regards From Canada Ken Klein

Quick Reply: 30.1 MPG 2009 Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands