2008 Tahoe Hybrid Codes POAC4 and P061B

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Codes POAC4 and P061B

Originally Posted by ponsta12
I'm having a problem with my Tahoe Hydrid Stalling out. It happens when the engine switches from Electric mode to Gas pode particularly at a stop. The codes that show up ar POAC4 and P061B. I've taken the vehicle to the dealership numerous times and they were not able to fix it. First time they said the throttle body was dirty and it needed to be cleaned. That didn't fix it. Next time it happened they said the batteries were no good, but they couldn't work on the Hybrid since the gloves that they use to work on Hybrid batteries had Expired. Then the next time it happened they said it was the Catalytic Converter...that was change and it still did not fix the problem. I took it in the last time just recently and they reflashed the ECM and said they still don't know what is causing the problem...they supsect it is the aftermarket wheels and tires that is causing the vehicle to stall? The advisor said that Hybrids are very sensitive when it comes the the computer and torque calculation. Does anyone have any idea of what it causing this problem???

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

Having the same problem with my 2008 Chevy Tahoe with 75,000 miles. Chevy even told it was originally the Throttle body and they cleaned it. It cost us money even with the after market warranty. It’s been 10 months and in and out of the Chevy dealership with luck fixing it. It finally shows the same exact codes you listed after stalling on the turnpike. I’ve been told now by the dealership that I shouldn’t drive it and definitely won’t. Did you ever replace the battery? That’s what Chevy is telling us to do. We are concerned that they still don’t know what they are talking about. Can’t keep putting money into it if it’s not going to fix it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tina Lamantia
Having the same problem with my 2008 Chevy Tahoe with 75,000 miles. Chevy even told it was originally the Throttle body and they cleaned it. It cost us money even with the after market warranty. It’s been 10 months and in and out of the Chevy dealership with luck fixing it. It finally shows the same exact codes you listed after stalling on the turnpike. I’ve been told now by the dealership that I shouldn’t drive it and definitely won’t. Did you ever replace the battery? That’s what Chevy is telling us to do. We are concerned that they still don’t know what they are talking about. Can’t keep putting money into it if it’s not going to fix it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
I got a 08 with the same issue stall out with the P061B(only)

I'm 99% sure it's the throttle actuator
DON"T touch the butterfly when the engine is on (YOU CAN CHOP OFF YOUR FINGERS)

I did mine with it off and it felt like there was grinding inside of it... **** plastic gears are probably broken

it's weird as the throttle actuator does not even move very much from idle when you revv to to like 2000 rpm..
it only moves like 1/6" from the idle resting spot.. I made a video (i'm sure it should be opening a bit more then 1/6th of an inch @ 2000 rpm)
THE weirdest THING EVER

EVEN WITH THE VACUUM LINES AND INLET tube removed it still idled perfectly and not rough running ..
like a normal engine would run rough with vac lines disconnected etc.. or invalid data from the MAF sensor . etc. etc.

IF YOU watch the video very carefully the Butterfly does not sweep correctly upon a key on it only open like 1/2 inch then closes
THIS MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM BROKEN throttle actuator

I Was able to capture the amount it opens(took several tries ) to pause at the right moment.. that IS HOW MUCH it opens when it does the "key on sweep"

I ALSO CAN'T REVV THE ENGINE beyond 3000 RPM EVEN USING MANUAL mode. M1-m2 etc.. it caps out at 3,000 rpm. it refuses to go above 3,000 RPM why the hell do i have an engine that can DO 6,000 RPM and it's capped at 3K rpm
that is like having a v12 lamborghini and it can only go 60mph

this is how much it should open at 2000 rpm(from a 2011 5.3L engine )

2000pm
NONE....

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 07-14-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Replacing the battery resolved all of the issues for me.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green1y1z
Replacing the battery resolved all of the issues for me.
That's exactly what the P061B code is with these hybrid GM trucks in almost all the cases. A bad battery code. The throttle body has its own set of failure codes that would appear if it was that. Tahoe_08: the reason you're still having issues with your Tahoe is because you've been looking at the completely wrong things all this time. It's as if you don't even do basic research. Seems to me that you searched for P061B on Google and you latched on the page that described the P061B code for FORD cars and said it was a throttle body issue.

Last edited by Jaime; 07-14-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:05 PM

well it's pretty clear it's not even opening enough
cant go above 2500-2800 rpm

it should be able to do so the only two codes i have been getting is p0069 and P061B, occasionally P0420/P0430 as well(not resonantly )
occasional backfire in the exhaust on cold start

well you do need AIR, compression ,fuel , spark.. for the ICE to work correctly...
\
P0AC4 is a generic code for the HCP Emissions related DTC set

now if i had a P0BBD that is battery related..

I all ready bought a new one i should have it in a few days
brand new Acdelco for $127(from name brand site).they price matched . . and a new seal for 159 total

quite a bit cheaper then rock auto...
just got to get a deep socket

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 07-14-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 PM

looks like the TB failed completely yesterday now engine is choking with misfires as well as many codes engine power limited etc.

i did not drive on it as not to damage the catalytic converter
had it towed home
I did crack open the TB and the gears were in pristine condition zero wear on it

so the motor in it seized up, i tried applying a 9 volt battery to the motor and it did not move.
the new TB is on the way

ALSO the Exhaust for the battery was clogged up zero air flow battery overheated from lack of air flow (CEL)
SUSPECT Stuck flapper (anti water back flow) (at exit point next to first muffler ) or squirrel clogged it up ?
FAN is ok...
HOT Exhaust AIR was leaking into cabin from blown seals on the air duct seals need replacement
as it's quite LOUD.. battery now only slightly warm to touch now even when 100F outside (A/C on)

hope it did not damage the modules

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 07-18-2020 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:29 AM

Tahoe 08, the ICE not revving over 3000 rpm in park would be a NORMAL function, it is a specific "engine protection feature" of the GM Hybrid ECM. It is stated in the owners manual "somewhere". When in gear and driving it should rev all the way to redline and more and blow all to pieces if you want it to.................. Might be tempting once you price up a new Hybrid battery which it really sounds like is what you need! I am at 227k on a 09 HO Hybrid and it is getting to be pretty troublesome, I may do the redline thing on it today myself LMFAO My Brake issue is back and GM Dealership says the part is Obsolete so doing a salvage yard hunt this morning. patience is running thin. If you decide to junk yours and part it out let me know I need a known good complete ABS assembly from a donor vehicle.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:03 PM

in drive as well, M1-2,3,4 would not rev passed 3k that is how i figured out there was an issue initially

Old 07-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Setting code P0301 cyc#1 I swapped ignition coil with cyc #3 and that turned into P0300... cleared multiple times to make sure

Quick Reply: 2008 Tahoe Hybrid Codes POAC4 and P061B

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands