12V reading is too low to start a hybrid.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Hybrid in Jordan
Default Re: 12V reading is too low to start a hybrid.

I'm loving it. you must stop by and show me your new tahoe once you get it. I have been told the middle east version is the same as the ones from the US.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Omar
I will definetly do that. As for the middle east version, there is no middle east version For sure the dealer added that in their ad as a marketing tool.
Did you get that info from Raed or some other source?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mel: you must start the 2 Mode in order to charge the 12V system. There is no belt driven alternator just the Accessory Power Module (APM). The output cable is the big red cable pointing forward just behind and below the air cleaner box along side the passenger side fender.

The good news is that it will charge in Auto Stop and while in electric only driving.
The statements on Accessory, Off, and Run are correct with regard to 12V power draw.

In Off only parasite loads from all the many computers in the vehicle. In Acc about 20-to-30 amps. In Run NOT running even more draw.

So for Omar, the key to run WITHOUT starting is a good load test. If he can key to Run and still show 12V, his starting problem is not 12V.

If that internal harness motor sensor circuits are in trouble... that will be a no start but some trouble codes should be stored.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Marty, I knew we did not have an alternator and that the 12V was charged from the traction (300v) battery but I did not know if it had a voltage regulator inline or how the power transfer was regulated. I guess the APM takes care of that! If you have a couple of hours, I would like to throw one of these on the lift and spend the time with you asking questions and sort of hangar flyin' with it. I appreciate you knowledge. These are truly great machines and I predict that manufacturers will move toward a hybrid setup even with other fuels available because the efficiency of the electric accessories is so much better. It was 27F this morning and my truck was warm and I had to remove my coat before I got out of the airport! Much better than waiting on an engine to heat water...

Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Hybrid in Jordan

Marty, non of the trouble codes said anything about the internal harness. I keep getting codes for the power steering modular. The dealer was able to format and reprogram the modular and checked for good ground connection.

I will get you the code next time I'm around a tec II. maybe you can help.

That have been said, I have not had any episodes in the past few days. whats referent? I have been avoiding hybrinating around at slow speed. and more high speed and recharging with far distance trips.

Was I draining the 300V battery with constant slow driving? I thought the engine will run if the charge gets low. I might have to consult a neurologist to check if this is a bad modular or it is the internal harness in the transmission

Last edited by sanosteam; 01-03-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM

Omar: you won't drain the HV battery by slow driving. The engine will come out of auto stop and run until the battery is re-charged.

If you get the Tech 2 make sure you are getting Hybrid module information. The Engine controller is not the main module any more.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Thumbs up Re: 12V reading is too low to start a hybrid.

Marty do you think the engine controller was the main module in the 2009's?Oh and yes my Tahoe Hybrid spent the night out in Armstrong Ontario -35F, Starting on the remote for 10mins, in the truck after 10 additional mins like Mel's SILERADO I had to remove my coat. On a different note the Citation X took 30mins to warm up and we still had false ECAS messeges!!!!!!! hats off and thumbs up to GM, I need to talk to Wichita about the X. By the way the Inuquit kids love the Hybrid they do not understand when it is in town in EV mode and so quite. They are impressed, its great to see them happy, they have so little and are so appreciative. GM has done a great job here and I am going to deliver a Tahoe Hybrid to the tribe in March.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 AM

In 2 Mode hybrid the hybrid controller is now the orchestra director. The engine is treated as just a torque source. I uploaded a warm December photo from the (paved) road North out of Smooth Rock Falls to the hydro dam at Fraserdale.

Until your exploits that was the farthest North in Ontario I knew of any hybrids in the Arctic Watershed.

So -35 and remote start. How's that treating the huper-mileing? LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well Ken and Marty...couple of thoughts. I can verify that cold weather kinda interfers with hyper-mileing...both because you remote start and because you leave it running in parking lots! And ALL airplanes are that way Ken, even a Boeing. The old steam gauges were worse! Funny stuff.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Yes Marty Hypermiling in the Artic is hard, thanks for the boat picture. Yes Mel I agree about the old steam gages. Marty I just finished purchasing two 2010 Tahoe Hybrids for our Artic Bay operation, they will, arrive in the summer and always be outside, I am convicened the technology will work.