General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

VOLT diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default VOLT diesel??

GM should have used a diesel for the VOLT

Bio-D would be cleaner and the torque that a diesel makes works better than a gasser , also when doing a generator setup where the engine rpm is constant with a constant load a diesel is even more eff. then normal.

1.4 liter (140hp) gasser and it only gets 300 miles on a 12gal tank thats only 25 mpg

Diesel 1.4 liter could easly get 50+ mpg heck my Jetta (2.0L) pushing a 3500 lbs car at different loads gets 42 mpg hwy and 37 city (tested fillups)

40 mile = no tailpipe + 600 range B99 = nearly no tailpipe emissions with proper NOX controls which on a generator at a static load is easily achieved.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VOLT diesel??

I'm wondering how hard GM's going to make it to change charging engines. Is the input torque and speed for the generator going to be publicly available? I can see some enthusiasts swapping gas for diesel or even gas turbine (probably need a reduction gear for that). How about a CNG fueled vehicle (probably won't even need to swap engines for that, just some injectors and the fuel system).

Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VOLT diesel??

Isn’t flexibility the point of the volt? Swap a E85 for a diesel, or a hydrogen (if every viable). GM has options to take the lead. Imagine a car that can be fueled by 4 different fuels. Now that’s flexibility! Of course if it slows down development, I’ll just stick with the duel fuel (gas and electricity). I drive an ‘05 Passat TDI which I love. Don’t be so quick to opt for the same old, because I’ll never go back.