General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Crazy Idea starting with a Chevy Volt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Crazy Idea starting with a Chevy Volt.

I'm new at this, so someone stop me before I go too far.
A couple years back, my wife and I purchased a 2020 Bolt. When the entire battery package was replaced last June, we had a Volt as a loaner, which got me to thinking about hybrids.

I noticed that the Volt battery carried the car 28 miles before the engine started. My wife, who has range anxiety in our Bolt, really loved the fact that we wouldn't run out of power.

I began thinking a different way. If the engine were removed from a Volt, and the weight replaced with additional batteries from a wrecking yard, could an "all electric" car with about 75 mines range be built from the pieces?
It would be a sort of "Franken-car", but it would be adequate for more than 75% of the use that we now get in our Bolt.

As Dr. Frankenstein mused, "What could go wrong?"

I put it out there for musing. I'm unlikely to follow through, anyway.