Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Is is the BP gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Question Is is the BP gas?

I am on a road trip from Houston to the South East and when I started I was getting a disappointing 28.7 mpg with 3000+ miles on the odometer. I read in many posts about FEH that, after 3000 miles, the mpg was supposed to improve. I was growing quite concerned that my mpg was stuck at 28.7 - or (gasp) 28.5! Would it ever improve???
I tried all the advice concerning the best techniques for the best mpg.
More than one truck driver tried his best to stop me from drafting off his semi.
Then, on the third day of my trip, I read somewhere in one of these forums about BP gas having less sulphur(?) than South American or Arabian oil and that it helps to improve mpg. So, with 3,800 miles on the odometer I filled up with a tank of BP and headed towards the Smokey Mountains expecting to see the mpg worsen due to all the long inclines and the rain. To my surprise, even with all the climbing, my mpg REALLY began to improve. I started out in Chattanooga with a full tank of BP regular gas and 27.6 mpg and now, in North Carolina with a new tank of BP gas, I'm at 29.9! I'm not even trying to better the figure and it just keeps improving.
So, I guess my question is - Is it the BP gas or has the engine finally been "broken in" or what?
I'm beginning my drive back to Houston tomorrow and I'm very excited to see whether or not the mpg improves even more.