Ford Motor Company Ford, Mazda and Mercury hybrids

2006 Mariner Hybrid suddenly sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Mariner Hybrid suddenly sluggish

I'm a former professional foreign-car mechanic but I bought my first Hybrid this year.
My 2006 Mariner Hybrid has 200K miles, but has been running great until one day last week.
Drove it 10 miles to a store, came out 2 hours later & it was very sluggish & the "red triangle of death" appeared on the dash & it shut down.
Waited a few minutes & restarted, but it shut off a mile or so later. This repeated until I got it home.
The only codes were: P1000FF/P0685-FF/P1-703. Any ideas?
I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago due to carbon buildup not allowing the throttle plate to fully close. It's ran great until now.
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Mariner Hybrid suddenly sluggish

My guess is either a bad 12V low voltage battery or your PCM failed. Former is a cheap fix. Latter would be expensive with few options except a Ford dealer with an experienced old gen hybrid tech. Being a former mechanic, you can maybe source a used identical part number and program it accordingly if required ( Ford will likely sell you a rebuilt unit. A new 12v and a rebuilt PCM programmed and installed set me back about CA$1800.) There is a possibility that your PCM is OK but your TCM failed . Apparently you won't know until the new PCM goes in. The TCM is sealed in and is not serviceable - you will need a new eCVT or a good used one. Let the forum know what happens. Not a broad user knowledge base anywhere so your experience will be helpful to others. Getting a copy of FORSCAN on your laptop is useful. You can apparently buy the program for the PCM on-line from Ford in the US of A. My two cents. I am average shade-tree mechanic with a weak knowledge of the FEH but learning regularly as a new owner.