Working fuel capacity

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Working fuel capacity

Hi All,
I have had my FFH since the end of April and have just filled up for the seventh time. I managed to drive 685 miles with 35 miles to empty. I then filled up with 15.2 gal, stopped on the second click. I was pleased until I went and checked in the owners manual that the fuel tank is 17.5 gal. Does that mean Ford wants us to keep ~2.5 gal in the tank as a minimum? I could take that another 70 miles and still have 50 miles in the tank. Has anyone else pushed a tank to see if you can really run the tank down to a gal or so? I guess I can live with a 700 mile tank. I would rather not find myself stranded on some lonely highway with no gas.
Thank you,
Teichra

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Working fuel capacity

Originally Posted by teichra
<snip>I would rather not find myself stranded on some lonely highway with no gas.
<snip>
Then you need to ask yourself: is there any point to stretching a tank? I'd say fill up whenever it's opportune, anytime you're below 1/4 tank remaining. It's a pointless game.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Working fuel capacity

Someone bloged about this http://ffh.squarespace.com/blog/2009...y-promise.html

Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Working fuel capacity

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Then you need to ask yourself: is there any point to stretching a tank? I'd say fill up whenever it's opportune, anytime you're below 1/4 tank remaining. It's a pointless game.

I have a friend whom,to this day, fills her car at the 1/2 empty mark. EVERY time. She's always said it because you never know when something will happen and you need to get there now.... who would want to stop and get gas when your (insert loved one) is in the hospital.... Just saying...

Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you rfruth. Your links were interesting and answered my question. I won't fill up at half full but I doubt I will push the limits much further than I already do.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Not a pointless game as it is a game you may very well lose at if it picks up junk that is in the bottom of most of our gas tanks. At the very least it could plug up the fuel filter.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
<snip>if it picks up junk that is in the bottom of most of our gas tanks.<snip>
I agree with that. Also, the one time we ran out of gas, close to 30 years back, we were going up a fairly steep hill, which might have been a factor. If you've got just a cupful or two left, depending on your fuel tank design, just tilting one way or the other could leave you high-and-dry.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by teichra
<snip>stopped on the second click<snip>
I gather you mean that you continued pumping after the pump shut off, until it shut itself off a second time. As long as I'm raining on your parade: this is another pointless quest, and risks fouling polution control devices, not to mention possible gas spillage.

You will find a lot of people doing this double, and triple clicking, but it's a fools game.

Sorry for the grumpy mood, but at least it's my honest opinion.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-10-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

You really can only push the tank so far. There has to be enough gas to cover the pump and the pick-up is just above that level. No matter how far I drive past E the most I have ever been able to squeeze in the tank is 14.8 gal.

Also I have found that when the pump clicks off that really is pretty much it. Perhaps a few more tenths of a gallon, but no bringing it to a rounded cost amount.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the FFH manual says at under a gallon left you can suck air when on hills, so there you have it. I think they also suggested stopping fillup at the 2nd click, not the initial click, if I read that right.