Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

I declined the $1,450 ext warranty at the dealer when I bought my FFH a couple weeks ago. I think it made bumper-to-bumper go to 7 years or 75,000 miles total. What do you think, worth it, or not? I have not read the fine print on the plan.

Noel

Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

After driving 35,000mi in my 08 FWD FEH, I decided to extend the warranty to 6yr/100,000mi with a Ford PremiumCare warranty with a $100 deductible, The cost was $1070. I used http://www.myfordwarranty.com/ and then confirmed with my local dealer's service department that the warranty was extended.

I think as more of the FFHs hit the road and get higher mileage on them you'll be able to tell if there's a need for extending the warranty. The FEH has been around long enough now for there to be trends in what might fail and I chose to go the extended warranty route. Others will disagree...

One item to keep in mind is that the high voltage battery pack, eCVT transmission and DC-DC converter are covered for a minimum of 8yr/100,000mi (10yr/150,000mi in CA, ME, MA, NY and VT) as they are considered critical emissions components (similar to the catalytic converter warranty).

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Also, you have until the 3yr/36,000mi bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out to extend your warranty using a Ford plan, after that you'll have to look at the non-manufacturer type warranty companies.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you kindly for your insights. I guess there is not much point in even considering this until we get near the 3y/36K mark.

Noel

Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 AM

I personally think this is the best option but others might like to add the extended warranty into the purchase price/financing. Others would rather take that money and save it to put toward repairs in the future (perhaps in a 2-3yr CD).

If you do decide to go with a Ford Warranty, be sure to shop around. I called 4 dealerships and all of them quoted different prices and all were $400+ more than the online ones. I went with an online provider (mentioned above but there are others to choose from) and saved $$$. I confirmed (after the fact) that they all sell the same "factory" extended warranty and the mark-up they put on it is up to the individual dealership/provider.

As for aftermarket warranty providers, I've heard they can be hit-or-miss and I'm not sure I'd trust any of them without reading ALL the fine print.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

I remember a few years ago on the Prius site people not buying warranty cause Toyota's are supposedly so great. Well as their warranties ran out so did the MIckey Mouse screen a quite a few and it was like $1500 for a rebuilt plus install. To me in this day and age of $125 per hour labor charges and higher plus all the electronics (I wonder what the dash in the Fusion Hybrid costs) just one trip to the dealers after the warranty runs out will more than make up for what the extended warranty would cost you. Like car insurance, it's a crap shoot but one I'm not willing to gamble on. On the Toyota and Honda sites there were dealers that you could call and they would write you regular Manufacturer Extended Warranties for a whole lot less than the retail price cause they knew the little they charged over the wholesale price was pure profit since they knew they would never see you at their dealer. Maybe we can come up with some dealers here to come forward with discounted extended warranties.
===================
Originally Posted by ncp10
I declined the $1,450 ext warranty at the dealer when I bought my FFH a couple weeks ago. I think it made bumper-to-bumper go to 7 years or 75,000 miles total. What do you think, worth it, or not? I have not read the fine print on the plan.

Noel

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Feral Engineer

You will probably be better off putting the money in a money market fund and paying for repairs from that fund. Why? Because, statistically, no one would make any money selling extended warranties if most people collected more than the premium. If having to pay for a repair would be financially devastating to you, the extended warranty may be a good choice. In general, though, self insurance is cheapest.

Additionally, Ford has already run durability testing to failure on all the vehicle components and this data was used to set the pricing for the warranty.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

You could say the same thing about car insurance. Why not just get pl&pd (basic coverage)? you are taking the same type of chance. One more thing, have you checked out the interest rates on any type of saving. About 2% if you're lucky.With the hourly charge of up to and in some cases more than $150 per hour plus the cost of parts one repair could cost you easily more than the extended warranty. Personally, I'd rather get the warranty than take the chance on a repair. If they charged over $2500 for the display on the Prius for a rebuilt, I'd hate to see what the charge is on the Fusion Hybrid.
====================
Originally Posted by travelover
You will probably be better off putting the money in a money market fund and paying for repairs from that fund. Why? Because, statistically, no one would make any money selling extended warranties if most people collected more than the premium. If having to pay for a repair would be financially devastating to you, the extended warranty may be a good choice. In general, though, self insurance is cheapest.

Additionally, Ford has already run durability testing to failure on all the vehicle components and this data was used to set the pricing for the warranty.

Last edited by bigdog9586; 07-25-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
You could say the same thing about car insurance. Why not just get pl&pd (basic coverage)? you are taking the same type of chance. With the hourly charge of up to and in some cases more than $150 per hour plus the cost of parts one repair could cost you easily more than the extended warranty. Personally, I'd rather get the warranty than take the chance on a repair. If they charged over $2500 for the display on the Prius for a rebuilt, I'd hate to see what the charge is on the Fusion Hybrid.
====================
I agree. When a car is new you take the chance of losing its full value in an accident, which for most of us would be a big hit, but when it is older, it doesn't make sense to carry full coverage insurance.

Statistically you are unlikely to need vehicle repair coverage for more than the premium you paid, for the reason I stated. If the possibility of paying a $1000 or more scares you, by all means, buy the extended warranty. Both Ford and the dealer make a lot of money on these extras, you are happy - everybody wins.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM
No longer an Enthusiast.

Get the warranty! The longer, the better. I just had to replace my engine on my Ford Escape Hybrid - at 37 months / 65,000 miles. The 60,000 mile extended warranty did NOT cover my $6500 repair bill.

Want more info? Here's the thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...0-miles-22393/

Quick Reply: Opinions: extended warranty for FFH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands