Hybrid Myths and Legends

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Hybrid Myths and Legends

Okay, I want to help stimulate the economy, at the same time help out our auto industry, and oh by the way save money in the process.

My answer if I buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid I get it all. First I help the only one of the big three not asking me to give them my tax dollars. Second I do my small bit for the environment. Third I get the most economical hybrid available (MSRP $19,270) at 41 MPG. Fourth I get a tax credit on the sales Tax (around $1400). Fifth and finally If I buy by 31 March 2009, I get a $3400 Hybrid car Credit.

Here’s the problem, you just can’t do it. The car is not available, dealers won’t even give you an estimate on when it will be. What they do say is forget about 31 March.

Okay so lets try another one, love the look of the Mazda Tribute Hybrid. Sorry only available in California.

How about the Ford Escape it hits the mark although a lot more expensive (MSRP $39,000 mileage Mpg 25). After a lengthy search I actually find one near Charlotte…where I can pick it up for $54,000.

Hmmm guess it isn’t going to happen. Frankly I would really like it to be a Ford or if not a company where Ford holds a 40% stake. The other two big three took the government handout and still may fail.
Well where do I go now?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/features/news/detail/index.asp?id=1714

How's this for false advertising, spent 30 minutes on line with Ford marketing the confirmed NO WAY to get the $3400 Tax Credit...the vehicle is not available untill June (maybe)

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Myths and Legends

You qualify for the $3,400 tax credit if you "ORDER" by 3/31, and take delivery in 2009. I don't know who you were talking to, but they didn't understand the question, or don't realize all you need to do is order by 3/31 to qualify.

My order is in and has been verified.

So, to answer your question about where you go now --- Get your order in before 3/31. Get verified and begin the wait, like me.

Last edited by Red; 04-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

sounds good but according to Ford marketing and the two dealers I contacted you can sign an intent to purchase which establishes an order but as distribution is not in progress you can not purchase only order and purchase according to the IRS is not an order as the production was originally set for 2008 as a 2009 model and is now billed as Spring 2009 and everyone at Ford says first ship in June. Not sure you will take delivery in 2009.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had a similar problem when i tried to test drive a FEH in 2007. I could not even find one available to test drive for over 2 months. I had already test drove a 2007 TCH and loved it. I was looking to see how a Ford would perform, to no avail. It was frustrating to try for over 3 months and not even be able to find on at any dealership locally to drive. Needless to say i bought the 2007 TCH but not right after the one i test drove. I just gave up on trying to find a FEH.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess we are spoiled in California . . . at least when it comes to hybrid availability. Only when the Prius became wildly popular did dealers not have any on their lots. When the FEH, TCH, HAH, HCH, and NAH came out, it was easy to take one on a spin. I have driven all of them at one time or another. I must say that my recently ordered 2010 FFH drives better than all but the NAH. Of course I did not drive the FFH, but instead an '09 Fusion similarly appointed, with a V6. With all the improvements made to the 2010 model, I am expecting it to perform as reviewed.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Hybrid Myths and Legends

Originally Posted by Red
You qualify for the $3,400 tax credit if you "ORDER" by 3/31, and take delivery in 2009. I don't know who you were talking to, but they didn't understand the question, or don't realize all you need to do is order by 3/31 to qualify.

My order is in and has been verified.

So, to answer your question about where you go now --- Get your order in before 3/31. Get verified and begin the wait, like me.
Unless the IRS has changed it's policy, you are going to be in for a big surprise on the credit. I received the credit on my TCH. The written information from the IRS said the car had to be received by the buyer by the date.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
Unless the IRS has changed it's policy, you are going to be in for a big surprise on the credit. I received the credit on my TCH. The written information from the IRS said the car had to be received by the buyer by the date.
I would be interested in seeing your written information. This is from the IRS website, it talks about taking delivery 5 months after the purchase date.

"The date of purchase determines the amount of the credit available for a vehicle, i.e. whether a vehicle is eligible for the full credit or whether a portion of the credit is phased-out. The placed in service date determines the taxable year in which the credit may be claimed.
For example, if consumer A purchases a Prius on Sept. 30, 2006, and takes possession in February 2007, consumer A can claim the full credit for 2007, the year in which the vehicle is placed in service. On the other hand, if consumer B purchases a Prius on Oct. 1, 2006, and takes possession of the vehicle in February 2007, Consumer B can claim 50% of the credit in 2007, the year in which the vehicle is placed in service"
Here is the link

http://ftp.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/article/0,,id=203122,00.html

This leads me to believe the intention is to allow for the backlog of orders and you could order prior to 3/31/09 and take delivery sometime after and still qualify for the credit. It would be nice if the IRS would clarify the rules on this, but it appears they are unwilling to do this.

Furthermore, I recieved this from a dealer in the last couple of days.

1. Customers who order or purchase any Hybrids by 3/31/09 will remain eligible for the full tax credit amounts.
For the 2010 Fusion Hybrid the full tax credit is: $3,400.00, for the 2009 Escape Hybrid FWD the full tax credit is:
$3,000.00, and the 2009 Escape Hybrid 4WD has a full tax credit of: $1,950.00. Beginning 4/1/09 customers who
order or purchase any Hybrids will only be able to claim a partial tax credit.

2. Only legitimate retail orders placed by March 31, 2009 will be considered for scheduling. The following documents
will be required for each retail order ( no exceptions ):

* Signed and Dated Buyers order clearly showing date prior to March 31, 2009

* Customer's Driver License

Note: Ford Motor Co. does reserve the right to end this program prior to March 31, 2009 if the number of verified retail orders exceeds available production capacity.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zrobl1
Okay, I want to help stimulate the economy, at the same time help out our auto industry, and oh by the way save money in the process.

My answer if I buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid I get it all. First I help the only one of the big three not asking me to give them my tax dollars. Second I do my small bit for the environment. Third I get the most economical hybrid available (MSRP $19,270) at 41 MPG. Fourth I get a tax credit on the sales Tax (around $1400). Fifth and finally If I buy by 31 March 2009, I get a $3400 Hybrid car Credit.

Here’s the problem, you just can’t do it. The car is not available, dealers won’t even give you an estimate on when it will be. What they do say is forget about 31 March.

Okay so lets try another one, love the look of the Mazda Tribute Hybrid. Sorry only available in California.

How about the Ford Escape it hits the mark although a lot more expensive (MSRP $39,000 mileage Mpg 25). After a lengthy search I actually find one near Charlotte…where I can pick it up for $54,000.

Hmmm guess it isn’t going to happen. Frankly I would really like it to be a Ford or if not a company where Ford holds a 40% stake. The other two big three took the government handout and still may fail.
Well where do I go now?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/features/news/detail/index.asp?id=1714

How's this for false advertising, spent 30 minutes on line with Ford marketing the confirmed NO WAY to get the $3400 Tax Credit...the vehicle is not available untill June (maybe)
See my later post about the tax credit, it would be nice if people in these big corporations would actually talk to each other

I was recently in the same boat, the Escapes were almost impossible to find, but eventually I did find one. I had much better luck with the Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Even though they produce fewer, they are more widely available - not lots, but there were some. Heck, I even came across a 2008 Mariner Hybrid in Warsaw, IN. I know there is a 2009 FWD at King's Automall in Cincinnati, I just bought one there and they had another. It might actually be a demo.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zrobl1

My answer if I buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid I get it all. First I help the only one of the big three not asking me to give them my tax dollars. Second I do my small bit for the environment. Third I get the most economical hybrid available (MSRP $19,270) at 41 MPG.
I think you are off on the MSRP for the Fusion Hybrid. The base price is $27,270, but you are also off on the Escape. There are FEHs with MSRP around $30,000. I just bought a FWD Mariner with a sunroof, MSRP $31,600.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The original poster is/was way off on pricing.

"Fully Loaded" Escape Hybrids ( FWD ) can be had for about $30,000.
Base model Escape Hybrids ( FWD ) can be had for about $27,000.
Never go by "list" price.

IMHO never pay for AWD unless you live 100 miles from the nearest pavement.
I have lived in CO and MN winters with my FWD and have never been stuck, not even close. My FWD goes up a 10% grade with 6" of new snow.

The FWD will get 10% to 15% higher MPG.

FWIW I had a 2007 Fusion as a rental car, and was getting 37 MPG Hwy.
It was a good car, before the Hybrid.

A Base Model ( 4 cyl ) FUSION ( Not Hybrid ) is about $20,000.
A Fully Equipped ( 6 cyl ) FUSION ( Not Hybrid ) is about $25,000.

A FUSION HYBRID is about $28,000 and up, depending on options.

The "hybrid" parts of the car cost $3000 more than a regular car.
Same can be said for the Escape and Mariner hybrids.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-07-2009 at 10:06 AM.